Greek ATM's

Old May 4th, 1997, 02:37 PM
A. Vranas

Greek ATM's

Instead of traveler's checks, we usually use the local ATM machines for cash when we travel in Europe. Are there plenty of ATM's in Athens, as well as islands such as Santorini, Crete, and Samos?

Old May 4th, 1997, 03:55 PM
mike

I can't help you today, however I'm leaving for naxos, amorgos, santorini and crete on Friday. I'll be back on the 27th and will find out for you, if the info will still be good to you.

later,

.m.

Old May 5th, 1997, 02:01 PM
A. Vranas

Mike - We do not leave until June 1st, so let us know about those ATM's. Thanks for responding!

Old May 7th, 1997, 01:00 PM
Neal Sanders

While not on every corner, there are ample ATMs around Greece which are attached to the Cirrus and Plus networks. There is an English language instruction prompt. Look especially for National Bank of Greece, which is is every town. In Athens, ATMs are most numerous in the Plaka and Syntagma Square areas. In other words, if your cash card is tied to one of the principal networks, you'll have no trouble finding an ATM or using it.

Old May 18th, 1997, 04:55 PM
Jan

In Athens, there are plenty of ATM's, both in the center and turist locations. In Santorino, last year there wasn't. Generally, you will only find at max ONE ATM per (bigger) cycladic Island. (Don't know about Samos)

Have Fun, Greece is great.

Old May 22nd, 1997, 02:23 PM
Rob Bond

I will be travelling to Kephalonia on 29/05/97 Does anyone know if there are any ATM's on the Island. I will be staying in the southern village of Skala, Not much chance here i guess. Any general info about the Island would be appreciated.

Old May 22nd, 1997, 07:50 PM
David Fowler

I too would like to know the frequency of ATMs in Greece, Turkey, Italy, Czech and Slovak republics.
We use EFT Pos outlets for cash supply too. I know N.Z. and Japan are high users of this form of no cash transactions. How about Europe?

Old Jun 17th, 1997, 06:04 AM
Out $250

My wife and I tried to withdrawl roughly $250 worth of Greek dracmas form an ATM in Rhodes last September. The machine processed the transaction without dispensing the money. When we returned home we found the deduction from our checking account. My wife reported this to our Credit Union and they wrote a letter to the Greek Bank explaining the error. The Greek bank never replied and the Credit Union said they are not responsible. I would not use an ATM in Greece again. Check out Patmos on your trip. It is a beautiful island that is not overcrowded with tourists.

Old Jul 3rd, 1997, 11:27 AM
Janice Brown

I was just is Santorini,Naxos and Athens we took no cash with us used atm machines throughout the islands.At the airport in athens i think were 2 machines in Santorini in the main square the was one they are all over athens some were right acrooss the street from our hotel. I found they accept Visa more then mastercard. but atm machines are everywhere and less to convert money there then at home.
Enjoy your trip it is a beautiful island.