Greece with young adults around Easter.

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece with young adults around Easter.

Have a student abroad in Thessaoniki. Trying to plan a 2 week trip coordinated during some of her break (APRIL 15-May 1). Potential travel any 2 wks between April 12-May 10. Would love to experience Orthodox Easter but do not want to be "stranded". Want to experience her student life in and around Thessaloniki, visit Athens and at least Skopelos island during the trip. Am I crazy to want to try to get to one other country(Turkey, Egypt or Italy) during this trip? Any suggestions on travel times given the important holiday? Will be accompanied by a teenage boy .Where to stay? My research and excitement is overwhelming me. Looking for authentic, down to earth experience of the people, culture, food, history. Not luxury. Would rather put money toward experiences instead of accomodations. It will be an experience of a lifetime for simple midwesterners.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM

Hey! Nothing simple about midwesterners! I grew up 60 miles from Winona, and have a niece currently at WSU. As you've probably guessed, I've read your post on Trip Advisor, and you've already had great advice from Litsa.

Personally I feel there is enough to do in Greece during your two week holiday without adding a second country, but a short visit to Istanbul would be fairly easy. I've never had the pleasure of visiting Thessaloniki except for a short airport stop, but know there is a lot to see, (e.g. Vergina) and Thessaloniki itself, in the Macedonian region of Greece. Your daughter (?) studying in Thessaloniki should have many ideas.

Transport and roads are busy around the Easter weekend, when people return to their home villages to be with their families. A visit during the Easter period sounds like a wonderful opportunity. You can find out much about customs and traditions of Greek Easter with an internet search.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

WSU is a great place to be! Would you rather be in Thessaloniki, Athens or on an island during Easter?
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM

and I hope we can make it an experience of a lifetime for you too.

My first piece of advice is when you arrive in Thessaloniki is to slow down and take time to adjust to a very different but wonderful way of life. I can only provide details of a trip we did a good few years ago but hopefully it may give you an idea of how we managed.

Perhaps too you need to think of having only 12 days to explore as you’ll possibly may need to take the first and last days as travel time.

We flew direct to Thessaloniki where we spent 4 terrific days

From Thessaloniki we used the Greek train service to take us to Volos (3 hours). It was a wonderful (very) leisurely ride with lots of fantastic views. From Volos we used a local ferry to Skiathos (3 hours travel time) where we spent 2 full days. (we did not travel to Skopelos but the same ferry called there 15 minutes after Skiathos)

We reversed the route back to Volos and travelled by train from there to Athens for the last 3 days.

What I remember most about that whole vacation was the friendliness of the people and so many opportunities to see mainland Greece as most people should i.e. much of it unspoiled and very beautiful.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM

She loves WSU!

>>Would you rather be in Thessaloniki, Athens or on an island during Easter?
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You MUST read Nicolas Gage's Eleni. This is a the real story of his childhood in war torn Northern Greece. A friend of mine visited this village when she visited Thessolaniki after reading the book.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Hey again Did indeed get you on TA..have to agree though, a 'village' Easter would certainly be authentic and an experience..am sure your student will have ideas;-) Although tempting, think your plan is a wonderful one with Athens/Skopelos/Thessaloniki..without adding too much 'travelling' around w/another Country..but then again, can totally understand coming the distance! Enjoy!