Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece /Turkey Itinerary...no not a household cleaning product !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost completed, Any comments are welcome.
Family of 5.
April 2 Brisbane to Singapore to Istanbul to Athens
2 nights Athens
April 5 Flight to Santorini
2 nights Santorini ( In Fira ?)
Flight to Rhodes
2 nights Rhodes ( ?Mediterranean Hotel ?)
April 9 Ferry to Marmaris private transfer to Bodrum
2 nights Bodrum ( Marina Vista hotel)
April 12 Private transfer and tour to Kusadasi
3 nights Kusadasi (probably the Kismet Hotel)
April 13 Private guide to Pammukale and Hierapolis
April 14 Private guided tour to Ephesus
April 15 Drive to Cannakale via Troy
2 nights Cannakale
April 16 Full day tour of Gallipoli
Drive to Istanbul
3 nights Istanbul
April 20 Flight to Kayseri Drive to Urgup
2 nights Urgup (?)
April 22 Flight to Istanbul
Overnight Istanbul
Late evening departure for Australia
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
brotherleelove2003

It's a wonderful itinerary, but a lot of ground ot cover in such a short time. I hope you don't exhaust yourselves in the process. Stay in Oia when you are on Santorini, not Fira. Oia is much more traditional and less commercial.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:15 AM

In general I found Santorini really commercial and wished I had visited it in 1976 when I first went to Greece instead of 2000. Oia does seem less commercial, but is jammed with tourists at sunset - I couldn't believe the crowds. To be honest, I would probably choose another island, although it is visually stunning, and it's on many people's top 10 lists of places to see.

I'm very envious of the Turkish portion of your trip! We only had a week there in 2000 - like you, we took the ferry from Rhodes but we went south instead of north and didn't get to Istanbul. We promised ourselves that we'd go back, but it's already 2003 and we haven't made it yet. We thought we'd go this year, but we're planning to visit my husband's aging mother in your country early next year. She's in Sydney, and the budget doesn't stretch to 2 major trips. Oh well, it's not Turkey, but at least we'll escape the Toronto winter!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:44 AM
brotherleelove2003

I've lived in Oia for 6 months, twice, and I never thought the sunsets were all that great. Depending on where your room is, you might not be bothered at sunset by tourists. I was always able to look beyond the modern influences there and accept the tourist population in exchange for staying in such a wonderful village. Don't let negative reports deter you, it's well-worth your time.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

So, no positive input regarding staying in Fira ? I have read that it has a great choice in regard to restaurants, I also thought that by being there early in the season it may not be as crowded.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:57 PM
brotherleelove2003

Fira's OK. No matter what the season it'll always be more populated than the other villages, that's just the nature of being the hub of the island. There are certainly a plethora of restaurants to choose from there, as well as great shopping. I just prefer Oia for the aesthetics and the peaceful atmosphere. It's much more my idea of the Greek village. Even though it's getting more commercial with time, it will never be as "over the top" as Fira.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Just confirmed the Kismet in Kusadasi, looks good on the website. My kids want to know if it will be warm enough to swim in the ocean at Kusadasi 12 of April ?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Hi Marko,

It seems you are already covered the full itinerary.

April could be Ok for swimming depending on how the season started. If I were you I would cut a day at kusadasi and add to Urgup / Cappadocia

Marina Vista in Bodrum isn't the best choice could be a good central location ! I have stayed there, was clean and tourist class hotel, nothing special, but as said very central downtown odrum accross the marina.

I hear a lot about santorini. I just missed to be there due to my heavy scedule in Greece. The island is small and you can travel around is easy waht I have heard. The Turkish version of santorini ( as said by people experienced both ) is Kalkan and yet less commercial. If you had time I would suggest strongly to visit kalkan for couple of days to unwind and give kids a wonderful experinece on the cristal clear ocean.

Where are you staying in Urgup?

However your itinerary looks challenging and hope you will enjoy both countries fully.

regards,

Murat
[email protected]
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Murat, Trying to get into Esbelli Evi, where is Kalkan (dumb question sorry)? Do you have another suggestion for a Bodrum hotel ? Bookings can be changed !! Also any recommendation for Cannakale ?
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:48 AM

Marko; Esbelli is fine but why trying ? Could you not get your dates confirmed ?

Depending on the budget you have either a hotel at Turkbuku or a holiday village for the children would be nice.
Ada Hotel, Queen Ada, Divan Palmira, Rixos or Kervansaray Holiday Villages...

I can get back to you for canakkale after little searching since we do not use hotels in that area.

Cheers,
Murat
[email protected]
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:33 AM

Hi,
Do not worry about Santorini. It is spetacular and in April it will not be crowed in either Fira or Oia. I was in Myconos in April one year and the water was too cold for me to swim in. I do not know about Kusadasi. Maybe there will be a pool around. Have a great time.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks !! Esbelli Evi confirmed !
Great website !
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Greece (16 years ago) and when in Athens we stayed at the Astor. Is it silly to stay there again with the kids
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:44 PM

Why Not.Its good for the memories and for the kids its nice, probably where they have been planned
Even its not as nice as when you stayed there, it would be fun to be there again.
I vote for ASTOR ....

Cheers
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:50 PM

Marko,

There are no restaurants near Esbelli Evi but Urgup Evi has a nice & fun restaurant. From Esbelli downtown is very close by, Somine Restaurant is the nicest in town. There are few more choices. Elai in Uchisar can be nice. Than 3 nights you are covered
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:14 AM

Hi Marko,

If you want to stay in Canakkale you can stay in Hotel assos Kerevansaray. This hotel is not in Canakkale but hotel has swimming pool and in the ASSOS (BEHRAMKALE)HARBOUR I am sure you will love this small town. Their fax number is ((286) 721 7200 phone is (286) 721 7093. I am sure that they don't have any web page.

In Bodrum you may stay in MANASTIR HOTEL Hotel almost on the top of BODRUM and while you are swimming in their pool you can see the whole town. You have to reserve before go to BODRUM because this is small hotel which was converted from MONASTRY.

DON'T FORGET TO VISIT PERGAMUM on the way to CANAKKALE.

See you Cheers

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Sinan, what is special about Pergamum? Thanks for the other recommendations.
Is the beer still cold
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Yes Marko,

EFES (Ephesus) beer is still cold and soooo delicious in HOT HOT weather.

Pergamum is one of the higlight of Turkey. When you go to Pergamum you can see the ONE OF THE OLDEST HOSPITAL FOR CRAZY PEOPLE (Asclepion) and Pergamum (Bergama)built and rulled by the LYSIMACHUS who was the generals of Alexander Great. Before Lysimachus date of Pergamum goes to 2.000 BC and impressive Theatre and temple of TRAJAN. Before go to Acropolis you will see the RED BAZILICA (Kizil Avlu) on your right side which was built 2nd AD was temple to Egypian God Serapis.

If you miss this you will be sorry later. KEEP in YOUR MIND

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Is it on the way from Kusadasi to Cannakale ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -