Greece over Easter

Search

Greece over Easter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece over Easter

My wife and I are looking at destinations for an Easter trip from April 10 until April 23. Greece is one of the places she would like to go, but I don't know much about it. I've been reading the Fodor articles on the site and surfing some of the responses on the forum. Since many of the responses suggest that the season in Greece doesn't start until May, would we find many of the restaurants and other attractions closed in mid to late April? Also will the weather be cold and uncomfortable? We are both Southerners and love warm weather and beaches, so I'd rather see Greece when both of those are possible, maybe in August rather than April. On the other hand, if this is a shoulder season where the weather is warming and things are opening, but before the crowds get too bad, then that would be a good thing. Anyway, any general advice on Easter in Greece would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM

Western Easter and GReek Easter coincide this year I believe, on April 8. The 5-10 days around Greek easter are the BUSIEST of all year in Greece, because Easter is their BIG holiday! Ferries, planes, hotels, highways, busses -- all jammed as Greeks rush tto their hometowns to gather, roast lambs in the backyard and celebrate.

Its GREAT if you've got a Greek connection (& place to stay)... otherwise, it's a real challenge! Either you can't find a room, or a cafe or restaurant or office is just plain closed because everybody's gone to their parents' house!

In April it's cooler, with some rain spells. Definitely not swimming season.

Why not wait and go in Mid-may? (Or are you on an academic schedule & have to go on Easter break?).
I go in mid-may, and if you hit the right places, the beaches are fine... and the weather is between 70-82F by day and SUNNY, and a bit cooler by nite. Things are open but uncrowded and still off-season so prices are good. Wanna come with me?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

Greek Easter is on April 8 (coincides with western Easter this year). It's the biggest holiday of the year for many Greeks, and a lot of them go out of Athens, back to their villages to celebrate. It is a great time to be in Greece, especially if you are in a village where people are roasting lambs outdoors - you may find yourself with an impromptu invitation to partake.

The exodus from Athens begins as early as the middle of the preceding week, and many people don't return to Athens until the day after Easter. But you will find just about everything open as usual in mid April, except for Easter Sunday itself. As for the weather: it may be cool and damp, but "cold" is relative - 50's. What may make you feel colder is that the central heating - if it exists - is not cranked up to US heights.

It is not beach weather, however, and the water is coldest in the spring. Most Greeks don't go near the water until well into June, even if by the standards of the Atlantic the water temperature isn't bad (60's). If you want to swim, go in July-Aug-Sept. or Oct. In my opinion, the best time in Greece is Sept. or Oct., when you can still get warm days, and lots of swimming, but the tourist crowds of July and August have thinned out. However, you won't get the Easter experience! You'll have to choose one or the other, I'm afraid: Easter, or the beach!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM

I have been t6o Corfu twice in April and loved it but a lot of places are still closed. I have also been to Crete in April and would suggest that asw a good Easter destination. Crete has the most reliable weather of all the Greek islands, it is beautiful with lots to see and do and the season tends to start earlier than on most of the islands.
Accomodation does need to be booked in advance but you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
If possible, get a hotel with a heated pool if poss.
carolena
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Arriving on Apr 10th, you will miss the Greek Easter weekend (Apr 6-9) by one day. The worst of traffic problems will be over, and ferries, trains, buses, etc will be jammed with people RETURNING to Athens.

You don't say whether you plan to visit the mainland or the islands, but most island hotels and restuarants wait until May (or even June) to open for the season. You could be lucky and arrive during a warm April, but chances are it will be too cool for sunbathing, and the water will still be very cold.

I don't feel you would benefit by waiting until August for your holiday, as that is the pinnacle of high season, when everything is extremely crowded. Best time for the Greek Islands, IMO, is mid-May to mid-Jun, followed by Sep. The water is warmer in Sep, but beaches are littered with cigarette butts left by the Aug crowds. Some islands are good at keeping their beaches tidy, but others wait for the winter storms to scour the beaches clean.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I was on Naxos one Easter. It was cold at night and you had to be in a hotel with heat which isn't really a problem. Most places have combination air conditioners/heaters that you control yourself. I wore a jacket in the evenings. Had some summy days and even layed on the beach one day but most days were just for exploring. Restaurants and shops were open. I had been on Folegandros just before Easter and decided to go to a larger island where things would be less local. I met a woman from Austria and we were invited by a Greek to go to his sons restaurant out of Naxos town. The restaurant was almost tourist free except us and the memu was of course the lamb only. It was a great experience. If you choose a large island like Crete, easter would be fine but the weather would be unpredictable. It could be rainy and windy. If that is the only time you can go, stick to the large islands and the big cities such as Hania Crete.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM

honestly my best experience in greece.. and by far the most convienent was contiki 's greece resort. Everything is so convienent and because of such it gives you the freedom to go and explore and experience what you want with the assurance that you have a set and secure place of stay waiting for you when you return
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO MUCH for your replies. It looks like we would just miss Easter, since April 10th would be the earliest we could arrive. I'm still unsure about it -- while I don't mind weather in the 50's, I do mind cafes and cultural sites being closed. It sounds like one extreme or the other though, since August is the only other time we could do it, and it sounds like August is a madhouse.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Go for April unless you are looking for a beach holiday. Most of the cultural sites are open year-round, and visitng them before the summer heat and crowds descend would be an advantage.

When you said "the season in Greece doesn't start until May" that is true of the islands, but not the mainland. Delphi, Meteora, and the many wonderful sights in the Peloponnese are often overlooked on this board.