Search

Greece Mid June Mother Daughter (age 12) Need trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece Mid June Mother Daughter (age 12) Need trip Advice

Hello All,
I appreciate these boards so much. Usually I have all my ducks in a row by now, but life has been throwing me all kinds of stumbling blocks lately. Having said that here is our plan thus far.

June 12 fly out of Atlanta to Athens Greece arriving in the evening. Cab to hotel Hera.

June 13 get up exhausted and take a tour of local sites (any recommendations?) I looked into a local guide and it costs 50.00 Euros for 2.5 hours... is that normal?

June 14 take flying dolphin to Hydra... now heres the mess Should I buy the tickets now? or at least ahead of time? What is the best way to get to the port from the city center.

Any suggestions for food and sites on Hydra?

June 16 return to Athens, Art Gallery Hotel.

June 17 more sites... what MUST we see that the guide on the previous day did not show us? Afternoon, Hamas baths (yahoooo

June 18, leave on overnight trip to Meteora already booked and paid (tour)

June 19, leave at the crack of dawn to Malaga Spain. We have a 5 hour 55 minute layover in London. Considered taking one of those layover tours. Any thoughts, suggestions and is there enough time. I have never done this out of country.

Arrive in Malaga Spain that night I have the rest sort of figured out.

Suggestions for small items that people in Greece like from the U.S.?

Many thanks!!
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:32 AM

Sounds like a good trip. Here are my thoughts.
When you arrive in Athens check in to your hotel and then head out and find a taverna for dinner. This is a perfect way to orient yourself to Greek life. You can probably have an early dinner (8pm is early in Greece) then head back to your hotel and get a good night sleep. Next morning you will be awake and adjusted to the time change and away you go.
Not sure about the price of a guide but for sure this will give you a good orientation to central Athens. After that you will know what you want to see and can do it yourself for the rest of your time in Athens.
There is a multi site ticket you can purchase that gets you into all the major sites. Make sure to get one of these. I would suggest you might consider leaving the Acropolis to the 17th. This will be the only day where you can be at the gate at opening. That will give you an hour perhaps an hour and a half before the tour buses start to arrive and the site becomes crowded.
Be sure to climb Philopappus hill, it will give you the best possible view of the Acropolis.

For your trip to Hydra you can take the Metro it terminates at the ferry port. A taxi will also get you there but of course is much more expensive. One word of caution there are pickpockets in the metro stations on the train and at the port. Take normal precautions, a money belt is a very good idea. Athens is safe but one has to have a plan to protect your wallet.

Here are some images of Athens. All done without a guide of for that matter a guide book. Everything is compact and in walking distance around the acropolis.
Athens http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632121475515/
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much... Should we buy our tickets for the ferry in advance?
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:56 AM

Are you sure this is a Tour Guide that gave you a price of 50 Euros for 2,5 hours?
Is that a licenced Guide? and what does the tour will include?

The price is too low......
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM

No need to buy ferry tickets in advance. June is not high season so the boats will not be full. You can buy your ticket at any travel agent in Athens as well as at the port.
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM

I would personally book the tickets for the flying dolphin to Hydra upon arrival in Athens, seeing that you will travel on a Saturday which might be a busy day with Athenians spending the weekend on Hydra and returning on Monday morning.
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:17 PM

Good point clauser. I was thinking the op meant buy them now from where they live. By all means do buy the tickets in advance after you arrive in Athens.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Well thanks to all of you! Also small items, for instance, the Spanish love tootsie rolls... so I take a bunch and syrup and any clothes with American stuff.

Multi Site Ticket, I assume you get same at the tourist center? My daughter is 12 and I think she gets into some things free I read?

Would you do a taxi from the airport or the metro we arrive at 6:35 at night
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM

At the Acropolis Museum your daughter will pay 3 instead of 5 Euro
At the Acropolis admission will be free for anyone under 18.
You will need to show her passport.

Have a look at the official portal of the Greek Ministry of Culture. http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh30.jsp

Had to google the Spanish love tootsie rolls to see what they are.... Not sure this is a good idea... Until you meet your friends, there is a good chance that the chocolate will have melted due to high temperatures.... You can buy all sorts of chocolate in Greece.... Syrup? do you mean maple syrup?
I am afraid Greeks would not touch it.....

The key word is "clothes with american stuff"
Ralph Lauren, Timberland. Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger are very popular in Greece and overpriced compared to the USA....
Anything with a label of the above would be a great gift