Search

Greece mainland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Sue

Greece mainland

My tour of Greece & the islands leaving 9/14 was cancelled. I have rescheduled for 10/15 and now will be seeing more of the mainland than before. <BR> <BR>There is really not much information on Meteora, Olympia, Delphi, Nauplion, and Corfu. <BR> <BR>Anyone have any suggestons??? Thanks .. Sue

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Ursula

Sue: You can find a lot of good info at www.dilos.com/region/ <BR> <BR>Skroll down the page until you see "Peloponnese". <BR> <BR>BTW, the Meteora cloisers are absolutely breathtaking. (PS: do not wear shorts when you go there, you will be given a sort of a long skirt, if you do so).I toured down the Peloponnese some 15 years ago down to Nauplion/Sparta and really liked it, esp. Delphi. <BR>Enjoy your trip. You will love it.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 11:42 AM
Sue

Ursula, <BR> <BR>What an outstanding website! I think it covered just about every place I'll be. Thank you so much for the reference. <BR> <BR>p.s. I usually don't take shorts anymore since capris came back. Longer, comfortable and go anywhere (plus hides the legs that don't look as good as they used to)!! <BR> <BR>Thanks again, Sue

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
Walter

The "Blue Guide Greece" is an excellent guide for the historical sites and museums. Also try this site www.culture.gr/2/21/toc/index.html Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:04 PM
Vita

Apparently the Statue of Zeus in Olympia is one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. <BR> <BR>http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/zeus.html

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Sue

Walter & Vita... Thank you for your recommendations!! This keeps getting more & more interesting! <BR> <BR>Sue

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Erica

Hi Sue, <BR> <BR>Can't offer personal experience, but an acquaintance who lives in Greece LOVES Corfu - recommended it to me highly for my return engagement to Greece. Have a wonderful and safe journey!

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:37 PM
John G

I have been to Olympia and Delphi only. You are lucky you are going later because when I was in Delphi in June of '98 it was so hot I thought I would die. Delphi is very hilly so I hope you are a good walker. The museum there is fabulous and contains the One Armed Charioteer. It is something to see. The Oracle of Delhi is interesting, but most of the "ruins" are exactly that-ruined. Our guide told us most were lost to earthquakes or Christians who took the stones to build churches. The scenery in Delphi is very beautiful with views of the huge valley below.....Olympia is less impressive with a cute little town full of souvenir shops. The museum there does contain the great Praxteteles' sculpture of Mercury. It is also full of other treasures. Again, most of the rest of Olympia is in ruins. But it is still interesting to see when you learn the history of the city. I, personally, would hire a guide to show me around. Both Delphi and Olympia are tiny and can be covered by foot very easily. Also, take notice of the lemon trees with lemons the size of grapefruits in Olympia. Have a good trip.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:27 AM
meg

try Tim Barrett's website- everything you could possibly want to know from an American who knows Greece very well. Address www.greecetravel.com

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Sue

John, <BR> <BR>Do they make anything special out of those huge lemons? In Southern Italy they make Lemoncello (sp?) and thought the Greeks may have a specialty. <BR> <BR>Meg, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the website. It's excellent. <BR> <BR>Erica, <BR> <BR>I've heard a lot of good things about Corfu and looking forward to being there. <BR> <BR>Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me. <BR> <BR>Greece is known for their gold jewelry and original designs. Anyone know the best area for this type of shopping? I don't want to spend a great deal of money, just would like something that's nice and a remembrance of Greece. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Sue