Greece June 2007

Mar 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
stephanie_f

Greece June 2007

Date: 03/12/2007, 11:54 am
I have just made airline reservations for Greece at the end of June, and am finding many hotels are booked. I want to go to athens and the islands(Mykonos, Santorini).Any suggestions for hotels transfers etc. We are a family of 4, my kids are aged 17 and 22. Any advice that you can give me at this late date would be much appreciated.

Mar 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I think you should try another title so that people know what you're looking for. Maybe,"HELP! Going to Greece in June, and many hotels are already booked!"

Also, try posting specifically for BROTHERLEELOVE2004 and HEIMDALL, both of whom are particularly knowledgeable about Greece.

Lastly, what's your budget? We were in Greece last summer, and I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Good luck!

Mar 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Your request is too vague. Have you done much research yet on these islands?

Let us know which village appeals to you on Santorini, what your daily room budget would be, if you want to be near to nightlife or someplace less hectic, if you want self-catering apartments or hotel-style services (more expensive), a swimming pool, caldera view or beachfront, and anything else specific to your situation. The hotels are filling up for June so you'd better hurry.
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM

I think what you need to do at this point is look for links on the internet, then contact the hotels directly, if possible. Just a simple Google search for 'Mykonos hotels' and 'Santorini hotels' will give you lots of hits. Late June is not quite high season, so there will still be vacancies. Many of the popular hotels, especially those frequently recommended on Fodor's will already be fully booked, but there are many others.

The small hotels on the islands (pensions, domatia) will not be open yet, and unless you can find a winter contact number, their phones may not be answered. I consider a hotel room as simply a place to sleep, as during the day I'm out sightseeing or on the beach, and during the evening having a drink and a meal in my favorite taverna. Every island has many small hotels offering simple but clean accommodation. If that's all you require there should be ample choice. Don't worry, you will find rooms.

By all means come back with more details, and you will get specific suggestions from brotherleelove and others.
Mar 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM

But really stephanie you shouldn't worry about accomodation because you'll definitely find something very nice that period. Unless you would like a very specific hotel which is already booked.
Will you rent a car?
If so, i could suggest you at Mykonos Pension Arhontiko. It's 5min. by car from Chora and it was very nice. (and with great prices as well)
http://www.mykonos-arhontiko.com/
In Santorini we've stayed at Oia at this: http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...amare/home.htm
It had great views!!

Also generally for Santorini on this website you can see loads of nice hotels and ask for availability: http://www.santonet.gr/hotels/index.html
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM

looking for guidance on a trip to Crete. I will spend four days there in June.. arriving in Heraklion. i hate checking in and out of hotels after just two nights... so i'm thinking of spending all four nights in Heraklion and making that my home base from which to explore and take daytrips... is this reasonable? can i get to Chania and back in one day... or should i spend two nights in Heraklion and two someplace else???
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Miamibill,

I'd recommend staying one night in Heraklion on your way to the next island or Athens. Go early enough that day to see whatever you're interested in ( although is the archaeological museum closed right now?), spend the night, and get on your way the next morning. A brief visit will be more than enough.

Spend the extra day (s) in Chania, which is a lovely port city with lots to do and see. From Chania, you can take easy day trips to many historical sites, as well as to some of Crete's best beaches, and the famous Samaria Gorge.
Mar 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
stephanie_f

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I think HELP! is a good way to start. I have done some research on line and with travel guides/books, so I have a basic idea of what I want. Time is short, so I will fly to the islands from athens. I will have 3 nights in each place, and return to see athens before leaving. I am looking for upscale accomodations without an upscale price tag. In Santorini I want caldera views. I'd like to be near Ia and Fira but I don't need to be in them. I will probably rent a car. My daughter likes the beach, my husband prefers to be outside, but does not care for the water. My son and I can go either way. Ditto for Mykonos. Maybe a little closer to the action in Mykonos than in Santorini. Service and accomodations are very important in the hotel. I am looking for a buffet breakfast to be included in the rate. The beauty and wonder of the islands are such as to create a memorable experience that I am sur will beckon us back for years to come. Once my accomodations are set, I will be able to relax and enjoy contemplating my activities.

Mar 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Stephanie i would suggest you to check out the accomodation i've send you before. They both had nice rooms without being expensive. In Pension arhontiko we've stayed three years ago and we paid 65€/night. In Alta Mare we paid last summer 130€ but peak season (August).
I wish you good luck with the accomodation! I'm sure you'll have a great time!