Greece - Itinerary Help!

Search

Greece - Itinerary Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece - Itinerary Help!

All you pros out there, I really need your advice! Can you tell me what you think of this itinerary?

Arrive Athens, Sunday 10:30 - Visit the plaka and acropolis
Monday - National Museum, changing of the guard and watch the sunset(?)
Monday night - 10 pm Ferry to Naxos, arrive 5:40am)
Tuesday - Naxos OR Paros - day tour or just wandering around (stay just one night)
Wednesday - Ferry to Santorini
Thursday - Full day in Santorini
Friday - Full day in Santorini
Saturday - early morning flight to athens/then rome

Is that crazy? Should I just pull out Naxos (or Paros, whichever I decide on) and either do an extra day in Athens or Santorini?

If so, which would you rather do, an extra day in athens or Santorini?

Any help is much appreciated! Leaving in just 2 short weeks.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

arriving in athens 10:30 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM

When are you going? And where are you coming from?

I'd do the Acropolis on Mon - first thing in the morning to avoid crowds. Then the Ancient Agora and Stoa of Attalos since they're at the base of the Acropolis.

Plaka on Sun is fine. If you're not suffering from jet lag I'd do the National Museum after Plaka - it's open til 20:00, although you could easily spend an entire day there. There's really isn't a place in that area to really enjoy a sunset - unless you could take the cable car to Mt Lycabettus.

I can't address Naxos (haven't been there), but that schedule seems frantic. A lot of time on the ferries for a short trip. I'd add the day+ to Athens. There's more than enough to do for several days - and to enjoy a wonderful city. 2.5 days in Santorini would be OK, although I'd never turn down an extra day there either.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi there - Thanks for the reply. Leaving from Los Angeles on 9/12 and arriving 9/13 (just 2.5 weeks away).
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option which would save time is fly to Mykonos from Athens, catch a ferry or catamaran to Santorini, then fly back to Athens. Aegean or Olympic fly these routes, Aegean have a better reputation.

Naxos is nice but we thought Mykonos and Santorini were much more attractive with more to do. From Mykonos you could visit Delos if you wanted, ferries run day trips there.

Personally, I would rather spend extra time on Santorini (or Mykonos) than Athens.

Kay
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM

KayF --
I agree that surfB should choose Naxos OR Paros not both. But whether he/she should drop BOTH in order to do Mykonos depends on what his/her interests are. He or she may want an island that's more "greek" rather than oriented to tourists as much as mykonos. But if it's late night clubbing, Mykonos is it, I agree. Here's a slide show of Naxos, so he/she can see what the highlights are & scenery -- http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

b/c of money and schedule, flying out to the island doesn't seem like an option. That's why the overnight ferry out to the islands seemed perfect for us. So... from the sum of what you all have said before, I'm thinking 1.5 days in athens will just have to do. Now, the question is do 1 full day (1 night only)in Naxos and 3 in Santorini or just all 4 in Santorini.
Of Naxos and Paros - are either of these port cities? Meaning, lots of the main attractions are right in the port.. that way, we won't waste any time traveling to our hotel. Ideally, I'd like to get off the port, drop of our luggage close by and hit the island!

PS - I think I'm passing on Mykonos.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Normally I would suggest that you concentrate on just two locations as your time is so short, however the overnight ferry trip does provide you with options.
Paros and Naxos both are port cities and you will step off the ferry directly into the towns.
You will arrive at Paros first so that will be about 4 AM so probably not a great option. Naxos at 5:40 just makes more sense and you will get a full day to explore Naxos town with its back alleys, old market and kastro area. You could walk over to St George Beach area and get a beachfront hotel so you can enjoy a few hours on the beach and the town.

In my opinion a day in Naxos is really not enough time to get to know much of the town and there is a good chance you will fall in love with Naxos and will want to extend an extra day.
The other option you might have is based on the ferry route. Where does your ferry go after Naxos. I suspect it probably goes on to Ios and then Santorini.
Why not just hunker down stay on the ferry and go all the way to Santorini. You will not be breaking up your trip with another island hop later (which will eat up at least a half day)
This way you can concentrate on exploring Santorini.
Have fun planning
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice stan. I think you're right... while I would ideally like to hit that 2nd island, it just seems too taking and costy (in terms of time) to hit naxos. I think we'll do the 1.5 in Athens and the the 4 in santorini. I guess if we get a little restless in santorini, we could always take a day trip to ios. Let's hope we don't get bored on our 4 day stay in santorini. Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM

No reason to be bored in Santorini, there is lots to see and do there.
Greece is infectious, you can see Naxos when you return.