Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece: Island hop the Cyclades, or Kefalonia too?

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello!

I am currently narrowing down which Islands to hop around to during my Greek vacation at the end of June/beginning of July with my boyfriend. I have about 15 full days I think, and only really want to spend a day or two of it in Athens (walking around in sweltering hot cities aren't really my thing). I have a bit of a better idea of my timeframe and budget now and have gotten some really interesting recommendations and I'm now trying to choose between two general travel plans for the 15 full days I should have. I'm looking for beautiful views, beaches, renting ATV's, visiting the occasional historical site, enjoying great food, and relaxing!

So my two general travel plans are as follows: (any critique you can provide is very welcome/any recommendations as to which plan to go with, thanks!)

1. Arrive in Athens, then Island hop to three different islands in the Cyclades. I am interested in Santorini for sure, and for the other two islands I would choose between Milos, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Ios, Folegandros (or Crete which is a bit farther). I would have enough time to stop in four I guess, but I also don't want to feel rushed, and 3-4 days on an Island sounds good. Or I could stay a bit longer on one of the larger Islands that has more to do. Lot's of people recommend Mykonos but I don't know if it will be worth it with how busy it may be in June/July, especially because one night of going out to bars is probably enough for me!

2. Arrive in Athens, then take a flight to Kefalonia, Stay there for a few days with day trips to Zakynthos and Ithaca, and then head over to the Cyclades for Santorini and one other Island. I LOVE how Kefalonia and the Ionian islands look, and since I have 15 days and I'm fine with paying for flights to get over there and then fly over to the Cyclades. I am trying to decide if this is a good option. The reason I'm interested in the Ionian Islands mentioned above is they look somewhat different from the Cyclades Islands, and I'm interested in the variety that they may provide. If you believe I could get the same exact experience in the Cyclades though, it's obviously probably more economical to stay within that group

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide, I've really loved the advice I've gotten so far!