Greece in February or April??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Greece (Athens and Islands)in mid-February but beginning to get concerned about weather and places being closed for the season. We have the option to postpone trip until mid-April. Would hate to go only to find a lot closed. Any suggestions? If we don't go to Greece, any suggestions for warmer siteseeing options. We'll be traveling from Switzerland. Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Snyder, I cannot speak for mid-February but last year we went April 15th-May 2nd and it was just a perfect time. But we concentrated only on Athens (3 nights) and Peloponnese (15 nights). The weather was perfect (too cold for swimming), everything was open and wildflowers were everywhere. We took long walks on the beach with no one person around. We did lots of hiking besides visiting many ancint sites and on almost every trail we were alone. We had rain one afternoon when we were in Delphi. Also only crowds were in Delphi which is not in Peoloponnese anyway. <BR><BR>It was an unforgettable trip and my husband and I would do it again but there are so many places to go with Switzerland being one of them
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I think you might find February to be not the best for many islands. We were in Cyclades in July, and one of the residents told us the island is practically closed for tourism between October and March, as it is too cold, windy etc. Maybe other island groups are not the same.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:02 PM

It is cold in the Greek islands in Feb.; the Mediterranean/Aegean is not like the Caribbean. I've been there twice, both times in mid-May, and the weather was nice, but not hot. I doubt if you could swim anywhere in April, with the possible exception of Crete's southern coast, which is actually closer to Africa than it is to mainland Greece.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Dear Wildflower.... I would love to e-mail you about some thoughts on your trip through the Peloponnese. We are planning a similar itinerary next April for a momentous birthday. ( Athens, 12 days in the Pelop, and a week on Santorini. Can I email you? My email is [email protected] Best regards. David
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:51 PM

We were in Athens and Crete the last two weekw in March, 2001. It was unbelievably hot, and the air conditioning was not to be turned on until April 1.We bought a few cottons and had a wonderful time. <BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Several years ago we took a cruise in mid April on a small boat thru the Cyclades... then rented a car and drove thru the Peloponnese. As I recall the weather was pleasant all the time. If it's practical try to visit Monemvasia.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Another vote for April