Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece in 2 weeks -- are we trying to do too much?

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Greece from Los Angeles on June 13, returning June 28. Our kids range widely in age from 9-17, they are good travellers but we are trying to please all without overdoing it. We haven't bought any tix yet. Sounds like it would be ok to wait til we get to Greece to buy ferry tix but we should buy any inter-island plane tix ahead?
Should we take our Athens rental car on the ferry to Crete or rent a new car in Crete?
Do we have time to enjoy Crete or do we leave it for another trip?

Our current plan is#8232;Fly overnight into Athens, stay two nights.

Leave Athens, drive to Delphi.
Drive to the Peloponnese.
Stay three-four nights in Nafplion as our base. See Epidaurus, Corinth, Olympia, a beach or two.

Travel to Crete for three nights.

Travel to Santorini for two nights and back to Athens.

Stay in Athens the night before our flight.

Also has anyone booked flights through the company called "Lets Fly Cheaper?" They do look cheap but haven't been around that long.

I spent hours yesterday reading forum entries! This site has helped me get a better sense of what to expect in Greece. All the ferry/plane/car planning seems intimidating from here...! Thanks for whatever advice you can offer!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I would definitely skip Crete this time around. I am researching it for my own trip, and it seems like a country unto itself--I would not go unless I had a whole week there, especially if I had a whole family to move around.
There is a "Naxos" posse here--haha, they have me convinced that I will go there if not Crete. Easy to get to and will fit right into your itinerary. Or, stay on the mainland longer or Santorini longer.
Now promise me you'll post if you find good airfare to Athens--that's all that I am waiting for!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! Re: flights-- I have been watching them for a couple months and it seemed like they were dropping a little but now are back up in the $1450 range. Yikes!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM

ABOUT CAR RENTALS -- NO you do NOT tke your rental car on the ferry. You rent a new car where you go. You need to rent a car in Central Athens, get GOOOD directions on getting out to highway. If you're flying out to Island, rent from a company that will let you return it at Airport.

About Nafplion -- kids will love it. Who doesn't love fortresses, especially those, LIke Palamidi in Nafplio you have to climb 999 steps to reach!! (Tip: you can drive up the back way, and instead climb DOWN those steps). Nafplio has a cute pebbly beach right o the other side of Old Town; you walk around the point of the peninsula. Go up top, and you'll see it from above. For sandy beaches, Tolo is a 10 minute drive, and if it's crowded go 3 miles or so away and there's Assine ... I went there in June and there were 4 people on beach (no faciities tho).

About Olympia -- I'd skip it; t's a 4-hour drive each way & you only have 3-4 nights. Instead, there's a terrific Sacred Games Site right near to Nafplio -- Nemea, right off the road between Corinth & Nafplio... only 1/4 mile to the right; here's a map (click to enlarge) http://www.greeklandscapes.com/image...nese_north.jpg
... has a stadium (kids can race in it) a temple, ruins, a museum, just no tour-bus crowds, and you save an 8 hour drive! Also, look out for the fort of Tiryns only 3 mi outside Nafplion again, it's impressive to climb up, an Iliad-era fort, you'll have it to yourselves.

About Islands -- You don't have time for Crete. Go to Santorini for 2 nights, then go to Naxos or Paros for 3 nights, then back to Athens.

About Transport -- Do you fly to Santorini (50 mins) or take ferry (7-8 hours) it's your call. You really don't have time for an all-day ferry. Of course flying costs, but not much more than ferry if you book NOW on Aegean's promotional specials -- €39 tickets!! ACT NOW. Then you can ferry to Island #2 and ferry back from there to Athens.

Car Rental -- If you stay in Naxos, at Ag. Giorgios beach, you don't have to rent a car ... you can walk to town & back & take busses to other beaches. You could rent a car for one day to drive around the whole island, but otherwise the bus network is very good.

AIR TICKETS -- NEver heard of Let's Fly CHeaper -- seems to be a booking agent; do they charge a fee? I googled and there was a review site with all-praising reviews... but I don't know who runs that site (not like Trip Advisor which is well-known for balance). Here's what I'd do -- I'd first go to either Kayak or Mobissimus (I like the latter a lot)... each of them searches 200+ air websites ... you plug in dates & destinations... & they give you the entire list, sorted by Price (cheapest first). But then you can sort differently by clicking on the column ... sort by Departure Time, Arrival Time (I do this one) or Alphabetical by airline, if you just want to see what various agencies can get you on Delta, say. When u have found the best flight for you --- THEN go to "Let's fly Cheaper" and see if they can quote you a better price for it.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM

We're not really a "posse" I'd rather not recommend Naxos, I don't want to stimulus a huge influx of people, I want to keep it as it is... but folks keep coming on here and say they have a bunch of kids ... and Naxos is really kid-heaven. Sandy beaches, Watersports, lots of hiking, castles to explore, they can run around and be independent, AND it's way cheaper than Santorini.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Hey -- I checked Mobissimus and found the BEST flight, time-wise, and yes it's nearly $1400 ... but that's what happens when you go 3,000 miles farther than we East Coasters do! Now when we're talking flights to Hawaii, you get way cheaper flights than we do ...

I put in dates/ LAX & ATH, and specified 1-stop only and here's what u get for $1392. from an online booker called Cheapo Air.com (dumb name but reputable)

AIR CANADA 8 am LAX - to Toronto; (3.5 hr layover) Toronto to ATH arrive 11:45 am
Back:
AIR CANADA 1:15 from ATH to Montreal; (1.5 hr layover) Montreal to LAX 8:35 pm same day
... now take THAT to "Let's Fly Cheaper" and see if they can get you a better price.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM

aw, I kid traveler jan, I kid. Naxos does sound pretty darm awesome though. Thanks so much for your always spot on help.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM

I would also drop Crete. Too much in one trip.

Even if you just concentrated on the Pelopponese, you would have a blast! That's what we did last time and boy did we not regret it. So many different places, so much to see! Nafplion (fantastic), Mystras (one of our highlights), tje mountains (ohhhh those gorges!), Monemvasia (time machine, hello?) and the Mani. ahhhhhhhhh the mani. fabulous.

we stayed in Poros. just a 5 minute boat ride from the mainland and a 40 minute boat ride from Athens. It gives you a good island feel without having to plan long boat rides.

whatever you do, greece will charm the pants off you! ;-)

jojonana
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM

bty, I'd also skip Olympia!
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the specific responses! Really helpful transportation info! I need to hop on those agean air tix. There's a lot to digest here. I'll be back!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

We have booked all hotels and airfare and now I have ferry questions for you! After our Peloponnese tour, we will fly to Santorini and then ferry to Naxos for a couple days and then ferry back to Athens. I have read it is wise to book online through Amphitrion, which I plan to do. But I have also read that the Sea Jets break down frequently and are unreliable. My questions are: should I avoid the Sea Jets and take slower boats? Will there be more options in the ferry shedules if I wait a few weeks to book ferry tix for late June? If I take a later afternoon ferry to Athens, intending to fly out the next day, am I cutting it too close? Thanks for all!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Santorini to Naxos is only 2 hours by conventional ferry. You can completely ignore the SeaJets ferry and take the Blue Star car ferry. If you can change your itinerary to switch your time in Athens until the end of your trip then you'll have those extra days to get back to the mainland in case of a ferry cancellation.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Cheapo Air IS NOT reputable!
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, brotherleelove. And will there be additional ferry times coming in May or should I book now? Also I saw on tripadvisor that there are ferry strikes scheduled for tomorrow. Any bets on whether there will be strikes this summer? Not that being stuck on Naxos would be all that bad...
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM

You don't have to book in advance for the Blue Star. It's huge (1400+ passengers) and won't be full.

I don't know if more ferries will be added but if and when they are you can see them here: http://www.gtp.gr

There's no way to predict about strikes.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Please spend lots of money there to help solve the Greeks' financial problems - & those of the rest of us living in euro-land.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

There is a new twist on our trip and I thought I would seek some input! We are a family of five travelling together and I have booked all our hotels with two rooms or family apartments during our two week trip. Now my teen niece says she wants to join us from Spain for a week. I wondered how our hosts would view us is we arrive with an extra person. Will this be a problem? Thanks?
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Hopefully you are notifying them in advance so they can prepare and inform you if there's a problem. We certainly don't know. Oftentimes there are spare cots available for use for an extra fee.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM

I have nothing to add other than to say you will love it. So beautiful and fun when I was there a couple years ago. I'd also say save Crete for another trip. There is enough to enjoy all on its own.

Good luck and update us on your trip!
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM

hi mhberg,
As a former innkeeper, I think you should notify your hoteliers in advance. It is less likely to be an issue if you are up front about it. You already received lots of great trip advice, but I must share one more tip - while in Nafplion, be sure to visit Mycenae. If your kids do not know the dramatic story of treachery and the house of Atreus - encourage them to read about the characters of Agamemnon, Clytemnestra, Iphigenia, Orestes, Elektra. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -