Search

Greece for the first time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece for the first time

Hello everyone,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece in May/June. We are interested in Santorini and Mykonos, possibly Athens too. We will probably go for 2 weeks or so. Any suggestion on where to visit, things we must do or restaurants to check out?
Thanks in advance

Courtney
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 07:07 PM
kja

A good guide book or two -- perhaps the Rough Guide or Michelin Green Guide -- would likely serve you exceedingly well.

And you can browse this forum for trip reports and planning threads. Here's my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
You'll find Santorini just after Crete, Mykonos shortly after that, and Athens near the end.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 11:37 PM

In addition to Mykonos and Santorini, the two most touristy islands in Greece, suggest you plan to visit somewhere more traditional. On the ferry route between those two are the islands of Naxos and Paros, which are wonderful in May and June. If you are interested in history, Athens is essential, and there are other places on the mainland, e.g. Delphi and Nafplio, well worth seeing.

Of course you won’t be able to see all those places in two weeks, so you will need to choose carefully. Personally I wouldn’t spend more than 3 nights in either Mykonos or Santorini as I don’t like crowds. Mykonos is the best island to see the archeological site on Delos, but there are day trips to Delos from both Paros and Naxos, which include a few hours on Mykonos as well.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 05:56 AM

You picked the two most popular and heavily touristed Greek Islands to go to. Even May/June will be crowded with the cruise ship crowds.

Is there a specific reason for those two islands? What are your interests?

There are numerous Greek Islands that offer different things for different people.

Here's a wonderful website for Greek Islands, Athens and all of Greece. Check it out to see if there are other areas that may interest you:

https://www.greecetravel.com/
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 11:01 AM

Try using the TripAdvisor "Things to do" function for the Mykonos,Santorini and Athens forum pages.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Santorini and Mykonos are wildly popular for a very good reason. They are gorgeous and Santorini has views to die for. I'd go for it but be prepared at times for crowds. On Santorini, we have stayed in Thira (Fira), the main town, and also in Oia which is towards the end of the island, about 20 minutes by bus. Staying in Oia was nicer, quieter but still with lots of places to eat, loads of accommodation etc. There are some gorgeous sunset views from Oia. A day trip by ferry to Delos, from Mykonos, is a good idea. The ferries won't run if there is rough weather so if you can do that early in your stay, that gives you time to do it another day if necessary.

Personally, I'd much rather spend time on the islands than in Athens but each to their own. As far as restaurants go, we found some nice places away from the main streets but don't remember any specifics. We just tended to wander, look at menus and choose something depending on what we felt like at the time. I'd suggest 3 or 4 nights minimum on each island. One trip we did included Mykonos, Santorini and Naxos, they are all quite different and in the same ferry grouping which makes it much easier. You can fly between Athens and some of the islands if you are short of time but being on the water and seeing the islands as you approach is wonderful.

Kay