Greece first two weeks of May

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece first two weeks of May

We're deciding whether to go to Greece the first two weeks of May (since our anniversary is the 1st) or whether it be would better going later in the month. My thoughts deal with weather, shorter hours for activies, flower blooming times etc.
Also, when do the flowers start blooming in Athens, Santorini and Naxos?
Thanks much - Sandy
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM

The weather is more stable and warmer the further into May you go.

Spring in Greece is very similar timewise to the US.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM

You may have great weather in early May but it is changeable. We once went the first two weeks and we hit rain and high winds and got stuck on Paros when the ferries had to seek shelter in ports.
If you have the option go later in the month. Just pretend the whole month of May is your anniversary. The flowers will be in full bloom throughout the month.
Here are some pictures of Naxos in late May early June.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570796960FtMsPF
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM

It will likely be hot in late May, something to consider. I think stormy weather is the luck of the draw.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM

The wild flowers in the Naxian hills are at their peak in late April, but not in santorini -- it is a very dry volcanic island, and not in Athen, except (amazingly) right in the ancient agora in the midst of the city... But ALL islands have an abundance of flowers because everyone grows them in pots all over, and flowering vines ... this year, we stayed in a Budget Hotel in Athens taht has the biggest bougainvillea in the world (Guiness record); from a pot by the front door of Hotel Metropolis, the flowers go up 6 floors, and spread out on the terrace! True. So you will not lack for flowers anywhere in Greece.

I personally think any time after May 15 through he end of June is perfect.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM

There are lots of wildflowers on Santorini, you just have to expand your perspective from the obvious to the unexpected.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM

Generally, the closer you get to summer the more stable and hotter the weather. That said, some of the biggest rainstorms I have experienced have been in late May and early September. If you plan to spend most of your time sightseeing on the mainland, then early May would be fine. If you plan to spend most of your time on the islands and like swimming and sunbathing, then choose late May.

FYI, in 2011 Greek Easter is April 24th, and roads/flights/ferries will be busy for a few days after that date. May 1st is also a Greek public holiday.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - you've been very helpful! I can't wait to go! - SAndy
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM

I would go for the earlier time frame. I remember Greece in April, it was lovely (mostly Crete, but we went north too.) Too cold to swim, but lots of wild flowers.