Search

greece ferry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greece ferry

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Greece (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini) next week with my friends. When we try to buy the ferry tickets, it is saying that we will be sharing the cabin with other people of same gender. It is giving us no option when we select the economy class (our budget is limited). What do you suggest to do? Although trips from Athens to Mykonos and from Mykonos to Santorini will be in the morning, the trip from Santorini to Athens is on Saturday at 2am (Blue Star Ferries). I am worried about the tickets since it is the only ferry at night. What shall i do, buy the tickets beforehand or buy them directly from the office at Santorini?
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM

The gender issue applies only to passengers booking a berth in a cabin. You don't need to book a cabin on any of those ferries, and none would be available on the ones to Mykonos and Santorini at any rate. Economy class means you can sit anywhere except in the numbered reserved seats, which cost a few euros extra.

You will be given numbered reserved seats on the catamaran from Mykonos to Santorini. Suggest you book numbered aircraft type seats on the ferry from Santorini to Athens (Piraeus).

If you are travelling to Mykonos on Friday the 10th or Saturday the 11th it would be a good idea to book online, as that is the start of Pentecost weekend. Any other time and you can wait until you get to Greece to buy the tickets. Booking online is a pain in the @&&, and best avoided if possible. ;-) It's only necessary during July and August, and on Greek national holiday weekends.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall. My trip will be between 13th and 19th June, so i guess it is better to buy the tickets when i get there. Hope nothing goes wrong
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM

Hi safakbudak,

I always wait until getting to Greece to buy my tickets, and never have a problem. Ferries are mostly running half full in mid-June, so nothing should go wrong.

Monday, 13th June is the end of Pentecost weekend, and ferries going back to the mainland will be busy with passengers returning to Athens, but since you will be going against the flow and travelling out to the islands that day you will be okay.

If you wish, you can buy all your tickets from Amphitrion Holidays when you arrive at the airport. They have a small ticket booth in the corridor outside Arrivals, and have the latest ferry information. Ferries to Mykonos run from both Piraeus and Rafina.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Hi safakbudak,

I am planning to go to Greece (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini) next week too.
I bought my tickets at http://www.greeka.com/greece/greece-ferries.htm

Mykonos: 10-12 June
Santorini: 12-14 June
Greece Mainland: 14-17 June
Athens: 17-19 June
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Cjribeiro was wise to prebook ferry tickets, as Mykonos will be very busy over the Pentecost weekend (Jun 10-13). The rest of the time it's completely unnecessary, and much easier to buy them in Greece. The whole transaction takes about three minutes in a ticket agency, and you don't have to worry about refunds if your plans change or a ferry is cancelled.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM

oop... we are traveling last 2 weeks of september

i just sent a thing off to pacific travel in athens to get legs from Athens to Thira, Thira to Heraklion, and Chania back to Piraeus...

Total cost 356 euro... includes a cabin for new wife and I overnight Chania back to Athens. Is it significantly cheaper buying in greece? I find the online through pacific travel helpful email responses and straight forward. just wanted to take care of it now and not have to think about when we get there (other than making sure ferry schedule)
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 01:24 AM

Hi Bucketwater,

You have done nothing wrong by prebooking. Ferry ticket prices are regulated by the government, and cost the same no matter where you buy them. Pacific Travel may have added an administration fee, but the tickets themselves were no more expensive than had you bought them in Greece. Pacific Travel is a reputable company, have an office at the airport, and will help you if there are changes in the ferry timetables.

What I was saying is it is unnecessary to prebook outside the high season except for holiday periods, e.g. Easter and Pentecost. Those of us who are experienced in ferry travel use the booking websites to see the timetables, but wait until arriving in Greece to buy the tickets. It's much easier, and you don't have to pay upfront.

When the tourist season is over car ferries continue to run, providing a link between islands and mainland. Watch a port webcam like http://www.parosweb.com/paros-webcams/parikia_port.html when a ferry docks, and you will see trucks rolling on and off, carrying needed goods to the islands. That's the main purpose of the ferries, and it continues year-round, even when tourists are gone and there are lots of empty seats.