Greece dining- Athens, Chania & Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for great Greek restaurants in Athens, Chania (Crete) and Santorini? We are in Athens for 1 night and staying at the Grand Bretagne. We are in Chania for 2 nights and Santorini for 3. We're looking for good, authentic Greek food in any of these places. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

If you want authentic Greek food stay away from all the overpriced boutique restaurants and find the little local places the Greeks patronize when they're on holiday. On Santorini go to the village of Oia. Right on the main square is Neptune, one such establishment. Also nearby, just a short walk from Neptune, alongside the big church on the pathway to the bus square, is Thomas Grill. If you're up to the challenge of the the steps or if you have a car at your disposal, you can get to Amoudi Harbor below Oia for a meal at Katina's fish taverna. It's a great place to sit and have lunch and enjoy the beautiful view from the wharf.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM

In Chania stay off the harbour front, no matter how much you're tempted. OK for a drink and people watching. NOT for food.

Ela is nice, as is Tamam, and there are a couple of very nice places behind the arsenals.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions- thanks! When we travel, we really enjoy going to the small, less fancy restaurants that are generally more authentic.
Thanks for the recommendations- will definitely give these a try.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM

In Santorini, I highly recommend Nikolas Tavern in Fira. The food is always great here and the locals recommend it too. In Athens, there are two places that I recommend and they are completely different. The first is a nicer place and its called Psaras Taverna. It's actually a very nice restaurant. The second is called Savvas and is located near Monistariki on Mitreolopis Street. It's more of a kebab/gyro place, but the food is out of this world.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM

In Athens, try To Kafenio in Kolonaki. Don't order off the menu, just let them bring you the mezes until you can't eat any more. Wine list is great too!
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Chania - Definitely eat at Annapolis (spelling?) - Hi. My wife and I had one of the most memorable meals we've had in our 13 years together, and 8 trips to Europe. We ate at the Annapolis restaurant, just outside of the 'touristy' portion of Chania. It was recommended by the wonderful folks at the Ammos Hotel. The restaurant is completely open to the sky, in what appears to be a WWII bombed out building (my interpretation - I don't know why there is no roof). Wonderful lighting, cute tables. Food - to die for. Price - with a drink apiece, around 35 Euro. Romantic as all get out. Run, don't walk to this restaurant.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM

kate013 and loriS can you give me an idea of what the cost would be for a meal at the restaurants that you mentioned. They sound great. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
mjs

I agree that staying away from the harbor restaurants in Chania is good advice. We also liked eating at Tamam, Ela and Anaplous. Akrogiali was also good.
Cannot remember where we ate in Athens.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM

I found it. It's Anaplous

http://www.nyloo.com/html/ent/134/ent.18134.1.asp

I have been there, but not for years. Hope you like it.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM

We had dinner at Anaplous, too, and would recommend it. And, while picking a restaurant with a view of the Caldera on Santorini carries the same warning as picking one on the harbour in Chania, Archipelagos in Fira was pretty good.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM

For Athens, especially if you are staying at the Grand Bretagne, have dinner at their rooftop restaurant. We enjoyed the amazing Acropolis view and an excellent dinner there.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much- great suggestions!
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I read about this rest. in a Canadian cooking magazine and then went there. The food was great. A little expensive but worth it. It has a cauldera view. From the web site:
The restaurant "Selene" is located in Fira, Santorini's capital.
We offer menu a la carte but we can also organise cater for weddings, receptions etc either within the restaurant, or in other locations, for example the island's Conference center, local wineries etc.

It is the only of all restaurants which offers cooking lessons in Santorinian
and Greek cuisine..
Selene restaurant
George & Evelyn Hatziyannaki
Fira - Santorini
tel.+30 286022249
fax.+30 286023495
e-mail[email protected]
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Any other suggestions for dining in Crete (specifically Rethymnon, Knossos area and Agios Nicolaos?)And other ideas for Fira/Oia and for Athens? We are a family of Greek Americans who would like to try some unusual regional specialities but not wanting fussy, pretentious food.
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Just back from Athens, Crete and Santorini.

I'll have to say that our best foods was on Santorini and mainly in Oia. The tomato balls and the fava with capers and onions were probably our favorite Santorini finds. We found two restaurants we really enjoyed here: Ambrosia & Nectar and also Kantouni. Ambrosia and Nectar is on the main shopping street towards the western end. We got a bunch of mezedes here--the tomatoes stuffed with couscous and the leek flan were both excellent. Kantouni is on one of the back streets (we didn't find it until our 2nd night there), but it's worth the trip since it's very reasonable (under $150 with wine for three courses-appetizer, entree, dessert). They had an eggplant tian and a roasted lamb that we really enjoyed. The owner is originally from Montreal but now spends half the year in Santorini. There's also another restaurant close to Kantouni that we didn't get a chance to try called Karma (more Asian/Indian cuisine which had a lovely outdoor patio area. My only disappointment in dining in Oia was 1800. Although the fish course was good (sea bass with olive oil), my appetizer was so bad that I didn't even eat it (some type of crab salad) and it was the most expensive meal in Oia.

We stayed at the Grand Bretagne in Athens and unfortunately the rooftop restaurant is closed for renovations. No luck in dining there.

On Crete, we did stop for lunch in Chania and (gasp!) ate on the harbor. I can't remember the name of the place we ate it--it was right next to the Mosque--but I loved the tabboleh salad that I had for lunch--one of my favorite salads of the trip. Also on Crete, we loved the dolmamitas and the fresh fish. We mainly ate at the small "greek taverna" at our hotel, the Blue Palace, and then at some of the small waterfront places in Elounda. Nothing spectacular, but it was all very good.

Old May 30th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Athens : Strofi near the Acropolis, Lambros in Vouliagmeni

Chania : Karnayio at the east end of the old harbour and Thalassino Ayeri the best fish tavern (a 10 min drive)
do not miss the local mpouyatsa...