Greece and Turkey

Old Aug 12th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece and Turkey

Hello friends,

Have a tripped planned to Greece and Turkey, flying out August 24 from US. I was ecstatic booking the flight and beginning to plan this trip. However, as reality is setting in I am worried this is not the best time to be traveling...especially to these two specific locations. I am supposed to be traveling with a friend, (who is NOT worried about wildfires, covid, terrorism, etc) we are both vaccinated and have all proper documentations.
Anyone traveling or will be traveling to Greece or Turkey soon...am I being dramatic .... is it foolish to continue planning this trip?! Personally, feeling a bit selfish to be vacationing to these places that are experiencing such devastating times. Obviously I want to travel and was so excited at the idea of exploring new places again but I feel I wont have a full experience due to issues that could arise with so many factors.

Is it safe to be traveling to these two locations?
Is traveling right now is a terribly serlish idea?!!!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 12:40 AM

You seem to be concerned about “wildfires, Covid, terrorism”, so let’s take those one by one for Greece.

Wildfires are happening in local areas, but not all over either Greece or Turkey. I have a friend living in Athens who is bothered with smoke from the fires when the wind is coming from the wrong direction, but doesn’t feel threatened in any way. Most Greek Islands, apart from Evia which is next to the mainland are not having wildfires, and are miles away across the sea from places where they are occurring. Would you cancel a trip to California because of the wildfires there?

Forget about terrorism — that’s not happening in Greece.

Covid is a concern wherever you are, especially in certain parts of the United States, where there is resistance to vaccinations and mask wearing. Greece has a high vaccination rate among its citizens, and negative Covid tests are required for entry into the country. In the summer all restaurants and cafes have outdoor tables where risk of infection is minimal. This summer there has been a spike of Covid in a few party islands such as Mykonos, but not in others. There has been a “mini lockdown” in Chania on Crete recently, but all that means is a curfew between 1am and 6am.

After a very poor tourist season last summer, and a slow start in this one, Greeks are welcoming visitors with open arms. I’ve read posts on some of the other travel forums that Americans are especially welcome after their absence earlier. Don’t feel you are being selfish by travelling to Greece, you will be helping them.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 04:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No problems with terrorism in Turkey.

If you follow all the rules, and are vaccinated, Covid is also not a large danger, although rates are climbing up in Turkey due to full opening.
Your risk will be if there is another shut down of public areas and domestic public transport.

Make sure you pick regions not affected by fires and flooding. Unfortunately these natural disasters will continue in the ares due to climate change and it may be difficult to plan again.

Istanbul is fine., Kusadasi (closest town to Ephesus, Prienne) is also fine. Denizli, Aphrodisias and Pamukkale have no fires or flooding.
Salihli and Sardis are two other choices
And for beach, Alacati, Ilica, Cesme, Assos come to mind.

The weather seems to be cooling, upper twenties in Centigrade at Iznik (Nicaea) these days. Our lake is extremely hot, but it is still pleasant.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 05:37 AM

As above. Don't worry about fires. Small Greek Islands have less Covid cases/pax than the more touristy one's like Ios, Mykonos, Rhodos, Crete....
I suppose you know that you are obliged to fill in a form in order to enter Greece and other forms for each ferry ride. The ferries between Greek Islands and Turkey don't run. You best fly from Athens to Istanbul or Izmir.