Greece & Island Hoping!

Search

Greece & Island Hoping!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece & Island Hoping!

I'm visiting Greece for the first time on May 26 after traveling thru Europe for 5 weeks. It's the last week of my european adventure before returning to australia.
I'm staying in athens 3 nights, flying to santorini & staying 3 nights & then ferrying it to Nexos for 2 nights.
Questions:
Is it warm enough to swim in sea?
Is 3 nights too much or not enough. I'm a beach person, 53 & traveling alone.
Any advice appreciated...Lucy

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM

The water will not be as warm as it gets in the middle of summer, but by May 26 it will definitely be warm enough for a swim. I've been swimming in the sea around Santorini as early as late April. It wasn't exactly warm, but I was able to stay in the water for awhile, and if you're sunbathing it will feel great.

You'll love Santorini. Stay in Oia, it's so beautiful there. Keep yourself flexible, you might want to stay longer than 3 nights, or you might want to move on right away, depending on your reaction to Santorini.

I'm hoping to find a cheap ticket so I can go there myself in May. Good luck with your plans, have a great trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
bws

Naxos has great beaches, just perfect for sun bathing. We have been there 5 times always in May. The beach in the main town, St George beach, is quite shallow and as a result is a bit warmer and you can wade up to your waist for 200 meters. The beaches on the west coast are even better. My favourite is Plaka beach. There are regular buses from Naxos town to a whole string of beaches including Prokopius, Aggia Anna and then Plaka. Plaka is the least developed with only a few tavernas and few services. You can also rent a car or a motor scooter to get out to these beaches.
The water is quite pleasant and warm by Canadian standards, where in May we have been know to have to push tiny ice flows out of our way.

Naxos is a laid back, relaxed Island with a fascinating old town. The town is so interesting that we stay there and explore in the morning and hit the beaches in the afternoon. We stay at a hotel overlooking St George beach called Glaros. Naxos is a wonderful choice for your last few days of vacation. You may want to consider finding an extra day for Naxos.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great info!
I just came back from getting quotes on flights from athens to santorini return and was shocked at the cost. It was cheaper to fly rome to athens.
Any advice? May isn't busy? Should I wait till I get there and buy a flight in athens? Lucy
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:01 PM

What's an expensive flight for you? I paid about 80 euros for a one-way flight from Athens to Santorini last summer. Yeah, that may be high, but the flight is 30 min so it was worth it to me (the high speed ferry is 5 hours!). I prefer Aegean Airlines over Olympic. Have you check them out? www.aegeanairlines.gr

Three nights is the perfect amount of time for Athens and Santorini. In Athens, definitely stay in Plaka, right under the Acropolis. This is the old part of town and very charming with lots of cafes and shops. In Santorini, any caldera side towns will do (the capital of Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli, or Oia). All have great views, good restaurants, and character. My favorite black sand beach in Santorini was Perissa.

Naxos is a very laid back island, at least compared to Santorini. I think that's a great way to end your trip. The main town of Chora is very simple, food is cheap, the mountain towns are quaint and fun to visit, and the beaches are amazing! As the previous poster suggested, go to Plaka! This beach is a rare find in Greece--long white sand that stretches for ~3 miles. Know in advance that there are nude sunbathers though.

The Aegean Sea is always chilly. Even in July, it can be hard for me to dunk my head. But if you are brave, you can definitely swim in May. Just know ahead of time that it's not like the Atlantic.

Kalo taxidi (have a great trip)!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:27 PM

ozzietes, check with Aegean Airlines. They're significantly cheaper than Olympic for their flights from Athens to Santorini.

I disagree with Kyriaki about the water temperature. The Aegean Sea is NOT always chilly. It gets quite warm in July and August. But as I said earlier, you can still swim in May, unless you're used to tropical water temperatures. THEN you might have some trouble adjusting.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Well, I guess it's up to each individual what is cold. But an average water temp of 62 F in May/June is pretty cold in my opinion....
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

RE: all replies!
WOW. AGain thanks everyone. I'm sure it will be warm for me since Port Phillip Bay in Melbourne australia is always very cold in summer.
Thanks for the tip on the aegean airline. Will check it out now.
Lucy
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

WOW again...I booked my ticket with Aegean airlines as you suggested. You were absolutely right! $57.00 euros one way to santorini. Great buy compared to Olympic airlines. thanks!!
Does anyone know about Hotel Diethnes in athens? Its rated as a hostel. Hotel Plaka was not cheap at $176.00 per night single rate australian dollars. Lucy
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM

We have booked the Hotel Plaka in April because the price was reasonable ($212 Aust for double incl bfast) and the position is good.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM
bws

My wife and I have always stayed at Attilos Hotel. It's roof top bar has a great view of the acropolis and the price was about 60Euros a night last year. A basic budget hotel but in a great location.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:56 PM

I was actually impressed with the Attalos Hotel..We stayed there last September and I was expecting the worst, but the room we had was large, new hardwood floors, new bathroom and a balcony..From the balcony we could see the Acropolis..I loved the rooftop lounge..The location was also very good..I can't remember what we paid, but it was cheap and I would stay there again...
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM

My room at the Attalos was a small single, strangely shaped as if it had once been a leftover storage closet. But it was cheap, the shower was nice and hot and the guy downstairs was very helpful. I agree, the rooftop bar has a great view.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:16 AM

I've stayed at the Attalos twice and think it's a great value. I laughed at your description of your room brotherleelove my father stayed with us at the Attalos in 2002 and had that very same room and it is very odd.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much...great stuff. Will look into the Attalas Hotel.
Lucy