Greece, Albania, Southern Italy - Itinerary Thoughts Requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some very tough months in my life I'm finally thinking about travel again. And like always, I get one thought in my head that sends me down a rabbit hole so far down, I may as well be Alice drinking tea with the Mad Hatter.

This is very beginning stages and would not take place until May 2024, at the earliest. Solo, using public transport. Planning on three weeks.

Initially, the thought of combining a little bit of Albania and heading to Greece came to mind. Problem is, the majority of what I want to see in Greece is really too far East (I *really* want to go to Naxos and Santorini). And then my lovely friend also suggested another dream of mine to also head to Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii after catching the overnight ferry from Corfu to Bari.

And thus, a paradox of choice has ensued. I know I can't do it all. And want to be realistic! From what I can figure, I basically have three choices. Unless noted, will be flying into one area and home from another.:

1. Fly RT Athens and all of the islands I wish to visit in the East (Santorini/Naxos/Mykanos) and maybe a one more before ending in Athens.

2. Or, fly into Albania, bum around a bit down to Corfu area and also do the ferry to Italy thing.

3. A possible alternative could be fly into Athens and make my way West (Patras looks intriguing) and just do Sarande as a day trip from Corfu . I see mixed reviews from over 10 years ago and have been hearing good things as of late, albeit via travel blogs. I am cognizant that parts of this option will be rushed.

I know next to nothing about Greece (and will absolutely be researching, I promise!). So, my question is, are there possibly any areas/islands in the Ionian sea that might give me Naxos/Mykanos/Santorini "feels?"

I love archeological sites (hence my want to also do Pompeii for the first time), do love art but that is not my focus necessarily. And a bit of a combo of relaxing (ahem, beaches) with sightseeing. I like food, but do not consider myself a "foodie." I might do a food or wine tour (any ideas of a good region for a wine tour?) but in general just find places that "speak" to me to eat.

My trepidation about making my way to Italy is I've recently been (last year to Venice on my Istrian and Dalmatian trip), however as much as I also want to go to Sorrento and friends. I'm also a little worried about this being Istria-Dalmatia Part 2, in a sense. But... Pompeii...! Oy.

I do welcome any suggestions from those that have traveled to all of these areas. And I thank you in advance!

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Jul 30th, 2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:33 PM

May might be a little early for the seasonal flights but June/July you'd should have little trouble getting a flight from Santorini to Naples or at worse Rome. That would let you avoid backtracking to Athens.

I don't get the fear of Venice looking like Pompei. Venice is barely a thousand years old. Naples is three thousand. That's before you factor in the difference the canals make..

If you like history you could look at Rhodes. You would then add a daytrip to Symi. The problem is it's a different group of islands and you'll waste a fair bit of time. It won't feel like Santorini but Rhodes is full of history.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, definitely something ro consider.

I apologize for the confusion, I know Venice is not Greece or even Rome. I've just spent more time in Italy than anywhere else in most of my trips over the last 10 years: Venice and Istria in 2015, Rome/Bologna/Milan 2017, Venice & Verona with Istria-Dalmatia - also very Roman/Venetian in 2023. I'm trying to avoid making this trip feel "the same," essentially.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 10:33 PM

Naples was founded by the Greeks
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 11:07 PM

The Cyclade islands, including Santorini, Mykonos and Naxos, are very different to the Ionian islands. The latter are much greener and, apart from Corfu, are less visited by foreign tourists, although are by no means unpopular and still get lots of visitors. Santorini, Mykonos and Naxos are quite possibly the most popular of all the Greek islands. That makes them more crowded, more expensive and less traditional. Will you feel like you've missed out if you don't visit the islands which you've been imagining you'd most like to visit? I find this site useful www.greecetravel.com/greek-islands/

Personally, I would not combine the Amalfi coast with Greece if you have three weeks. To me that's too rushed and they are too different. Perhaps on another holiday, you could head south from Naples and explore the south west coast?

I've never visited Albania but would like to. From what I've seen Sarande would not be Albania and I'd want to head to some of the old cities and the mountains. If you did that, you could take a bus over the border to Greece and head south via Meteora, Delphi, etc. towards Athens, from where you could head to the Cyclade islands, or as you say, head south towards the Ionian islands.

For me, three weeks in Greece would go in a flash and I'd visit just there. Don't ignore the mainland which is my favourite part.

In the end, it's a choice that only you can make, but if you intend to return to Europe I'd recommend not packing too much into your time. Greece in particular is best enjoyed at a relaxed pace.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 11:53 PM

Dreamon is correct when saying “Don't ignore the mainland…” if you are interested in history and archeology the mainland has far more than all the islands combined. Athens, Delphi, and the Peloponnese would easily fill a couple of weeks, with Nafplio a good secondary base. http://www.visitnafplio.com/

I’ve spent many weeks in the Cyclades Islands, and visited Mykonos, Santorini and Naxos along with my favourites Paros and Antiparos. They are all overcrowded in summer, making the month of May a better time to visit. In 2024 Greek Orthodox Easter is late, falling on May 5th. That means the first week of May will be very busy on the islands, with many Greeks travelling from the mainland to spend Easter with their families. After the first week of May it will be quiet again until people begin to arrive for their summer beach holidays.

Patras is well known as the port for ferries arriving from Italy, but AFIK nothing worth lingering for. Nearby Patras in the Peloponnese is Ancient Olympia, and further south from there the wonderful, but little known, Ancient Messene.

IMO the only archeological sites in the Cyclades worth going out of your way for are Delos from Mykonos and Akrotiri (the Greek Pompeii) on Santorini. Of course there are minor archaeological sites such as the Portara on Naxos, and the site on the uninhabited island of Despotiko adjacent to Antiparos.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 12:56 AM

Heimdall, I've heard it said that many islands in Greece 'open up for visitors' (I think that means transport and restaurants, etc) at Easter. With such a late Easter next year, do you think the islands will be open for business earlier than that? I realise that this is not a black and white answer but we would like to return in April next year if we can and wondering what the islands might be like then. We were in Greece in April this year but that was Athens which is completely different.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 02:10 AM

That’s a good question, dreamon! I expect April will be less busy than usual, with Easter so late in 2024. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad time to visit, as many hotels and restaurants are open all year round, and ferries to/from Piraeus and Rafina will be running as usual.

I wouldn’t rely on Sea Jets timetables for April, as most of their highspeed ferries are summer only, and the Sea Jets company has a habit of publishing timetables early and then changing them before the start of the season. On the other hand, Blue Star Ferries and other conventional vessels stick to pretty much the same schedule from year to year, so if you plan your itinerary around the main ferry routes you will be safe.

With the heat wave and wildfire problem in July this year, travelling earlier in April or May seems a good idea. You will never have a problem finding places to eat and stay, and there will be no crowds on busy islands like Santorini and Mykonos, except possibly on days where large cruise ships call. Most archeological sites will be open on reduced hours.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 05:47 AM

It's only a guess, but I'm thinking that the awful heat waves of mid-summer, combined with the record-breaking crowds invading Greece this year, will motivate more people to think: early trip. My last few (wonderful) trips to Greece have begun the last week of May ... but if I were plannning for 2024, I'd think about a May 10th start. I've done that 10 years ago, and plenty of things were open in the Cyclades, and for 2024 I'd guess more so.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelerjan
It's only a guess, but I'm thinking that the awful heat waves of mid-summer, combined with the record-breaking crowds invading Greece this year, will motivate more people to think: early trip. My last few (wonderful) trips to Greece have begun the last week of May ... but if I were plannning for 2024, I'd think about a May 10th start. I've done that 10 years ago, and plenty of things were open in the Cyclades, and for 2024 I'd guess more so.
Thank you, Jan. If I should decide to focus on the Ionian area, do I need to consider a later schedule?

I am planning on 2nd or 3rd week of May to start the trip but really do not want to push my start date into June if I can avoid it, no matter which region I decide.

Fires and heat are part of the consideration, but mostly wanting to avoid crowds as much as possible. I know there will still be some, just trying to help my introvert! 🤣
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 10:21 AM

Travel_Nerd, if you plan on the Ionian Islands be aware that they are popular with Northern Europeans for summer package holidays.For that reason I think May would be better than June (before the charter flights begin to arrive). I don’t think there will be much difference in weather, except it won’t be as windy in the Ionians as the Cyclades.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback about the islands in April. We were on the mainland in late April and enjoyed it.

Travel_Nerd, I think there is a difference between those islands which get a lot of package tourism and those which don't; and those which have airports and those which don't. Choose an Ionian island which doesn't have those characteristics if you prefer a quieter destination - and of course avoid European school holiday time. Crowds are as much about where you visit as when. We were still in Greece in June and finding few non-Greek tourists in places which are less well known (but still beautiful).