Italy, Montenegro, Albania and Greece - July 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, my Bff and I are planning these destinations in July and are seeking help on a doable itinerary. We have between 10 and 12 days and were thinking more the south of Italy, and we will be guided by a friend in Albania besides that we are open, even to remove a country if it really doesn't fit. Would also appreciate tips on traveling between these countries and accommodations as well. Any insight and experiences would also be helpful.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may find my Balkan TR helpful - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rn-balkans.cfm

Consider visiting Macedonia as well as Albania - it's just the other side of Lake Ohrid.

You can take a bus between Albania and Greece - the trains aren't running currently - or a ferry from Corfu to Saranda. If you don't want to fly there are also ferries from Italy to Greece and Italy to Albania, see http://www.directferries.co.uk/
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 08:03 PM
kja

Sounds like a lot to do in just 10 or 12 days. I think you would end up spending a disproportionate share of you time in transit, rather than on the ground. But maybe I'm not understanding what, exactly, you are planning?
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi @kja
Ideally would like to visit these countries and would like ideas on an appropriate itinerary. When I see it on the map they look fairly close which is why we choose these countries in particular. Have been to the northern Italy, so thought we would concentrate more on the South, maybe Naples or Salerno. That's all I got. I have seen other itineraries, but they include Croatia and other countries that didn't make our list. Wanted more ideas on modes of transportation between countries, suggestions on where would be best to go and people's experience.
Hope that helps a bit more.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 08:51 PM
kja

Yes, looking at a map can be quite deceptive. You might play around a bit with google maps or michelin.com or mappy.com to get some sense of the distances between places, and check guidebooks like the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet that generally give good information about transportation options and how long they take. And definitely read thursdaysd's trip report - I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information there.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 09:00 PM

You need to lay your proposed itinerary out on a calendar, figuring out where you are sleeping each night, and putting in actual travel times. I think you will quickly conclude that you should cut back to two countries, especially if you do not fly. The area around Naples and Sorrento could easily take half your time, and then you would have to get across country to Bari for the ferries. (For rail timetables use http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml )
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for your responses..

Did the itinerary and decided to fly into Rome, spend two days there then base ourselves in Salernon, from there visit Pompeii, Amalfi and Capri, from there spend two days in Montenegro and then on to visit our friend in Albania..
Now I am asking about ideas around accommodations and transportation between and in the mentionned countries.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 03:57 PM
kja

Have you been to Rome before? If its a first visit, you might want to consider a stay of at least 4 to 5 days. Depending on what you want to see and experience, you'll probably want at least 4 days for the Amalfi Coast, and you might want to add Paestum to your list for that part of trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:29 PM

Which jet helicopter can you hire to get from Salerno to Montenegro? It may take a full day otherwise, if not more.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:34 PM

I still don't see how you're fitting all this in. You need to post an itinerary of the form:

Day 1: Arrive in Rome [time], sleep in Rome.
Day 2: See Rome, sleep in Rome.
Day 3: Travel to Salerno by train [train times], sleep in Salerno.

And I agree with kja (as usual, lol), if this your first visit to Rome you can't possibly do it justice in a day and a half. (If you're flying from the US you'll be jet-lagged on day one.)
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:07 AM

I think these are alot destinations for 10-12 days. I would skip Montenegro, and spend 5days in Italy, 2days in Albania, and 5days in Greece.

Visit Naples Italy, a wonderful Atmospheric city with the greatest food in Italy, you can make day trips to Amalfi, Capri, and Pompeii from there, Naples is also the Capital of South Italy, then go to Argyrokastron (Gjirokaster) in Albania, a Greek speaking village with charming Architecture, and interesting History. Then visit either Corfu (if you want a more Western European side of Greece) or Ioannina (if you want a more Byzantine/Ottoman/Balkan Medieval Metropolis)
both Cities are gorgeous, and really close to Albania.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Rome before. I am from Canada and the flight is cheaper this way. Thanks for the suggestion about Paestum, I will definately look into it. We decided to remove Greece for another trip. We are planning for at least 5 days for Amalfi, Capri and Pompeii and now maybe Paestum, but would rather Salerno than Naples. And then may extend to 14 days.
Can someone please provide links for transportation systems, train, ferry, plane, etc?!
And neat BnB's, or other quaint accommodations in Rome, Salerno and Montenegro.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Google "Italy to Montenegro" and you will find both flights and the Bari to Kotor ferry. Schedules and prices vary depending on time. Kotor, is by the way, is gorgeous.

You can also get from Bari to Albania by ferry. Google.

Your friend in Albania can help you figure out how to get around, so it may well make sense to do Albania first, then return to Bari from Montenegro following her/ his directions.

I envy you Albania.