Great towns on the Rhein River?

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
mesia

Great towns on the Rhein River?

Other than Koln, looking for suggestions for charming towns along the Rhein with lots of sites to visit. What is there to do there?

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of them could accurately be described as having "lots of sites," but Boppard and Rudesheim are worth a visit. Roundtrip river cruises leave from Boppard.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Koblenz is a good visit for a day.

Rheinfalz (sp??) is on the Swiss/German border was looking, if you're driving that area but it's the view of the Rhein instead of the town.

The Loreli stone is near Rudesheim, I think. Maybe this is mostly about the song and not for the place.

There are lots of apple blossoms in the spring on the Eastern side of the Rhein. That was worth a look, if it was a good time of the year.

How about Wiesbaden. Does this count? Certainly it's worth viewing.

Blackduff
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Also, Koblenz
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
mesia

I take it that going on the Rhein boat cruise is really the thing to do alon with making short stops at the towns.

Are Koblenz or Boppard great places for exploring?

What's the difference between north Rhein River towns vs. south Rhein River towns.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM

We stayed in Bacharach in May and really enjoyed this lovely little town. We did a daytrip to St. Goar and Boppard. In Boppard, there is a chairlift that takes you up to a great vantage point for viewing the huge horseshoe turn in the Rhine and the surrounding area. This was one of the highlights of our trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM

My husband and I recently took a cruise along the entire length of the Rhine. Although we are not really "cruise people", we enjoyed the journey. I liked the towns better as we got further south, as the north had a more industrial feel. I particularly enjoyed Strasbourg. Mainz is another interesting city, and has a museum that contains a copy of the Gutenberg Bible and the Gutenberg Printing Press.

Are you cruising or driving? If you have access to a car, Heidelberg is a nice side trip, as is the Black Forest.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM

>If you have access to a car, Heidelberg is a nice side trip, as is the Black Forest.

If you don't have an access to the car these make equally good day trip destinations too.