Reload this Page >

Great place to stay in SW Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 1999, 02:23 PM
john

<BR>Looking for a great place to stay in Kerry or Cork...romantic,quaint and under $200.00? we also like to be in a village! <BR>I also heard that Kinsale was a nice place to go. <BR>Thanks in advance.

Old May 11th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Seamus

One of the best places we stayed was the Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge. It is a country manor house and also features a tremendously good restaurant - plan on dinner there at least one night. Sorry I don't have an email for the place, but any reliable travel agent should be able to find it for you, or try doing a web search. Another top notch (though maybe over your budget) was Ballymaloe House in Shangarry, County Cork, which boasts an international cooking school. The food is not to be believed!

Old May 11th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Seamus

One of the best places we stayed was the Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge. It is a country manor house and also features a tremendously good restaurant - plan on dinner there at least one night. Sorry I don't have an email for the place, but any reliable travel agent should be able to find it for you, or try doing a web search. Another top notch (though maybe over your budget) was Ballymaloe House in Shangarry, County Cork, which boasts an international cooking school. The food is not to be believed!

Old May 12th, 1999, 03:50 AM
Maura

We have stayed in a great place in Killarney -- Foley's -- it's over their own restaurant and is very nicely decorated and reasonably priced. It is right in the middle of the town and there is parking as well. It was a great base and would be a good place to stay if you were to to to Kinsale for the day. Kinsale is nice for a day trip but I wouldn't want to stay there. Full info: Foley's Restaurant and Town House, phone: 011-353-64-31217 fax: 011 64 34683. They are very laid back -- close to golf too!

Old May 12th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Fran

We stayed in Kinsale at Rocklands Guest House. Very nice B&B and the rooms had a great view of the Bandon River. Kinsale was a great place, kind of upscale. We ate at JimEdwards restaurant which was very good.

Old May 12th, 1999, 02:16 PM
mavis

I've just booked Rocklands House in Kinsale for my sister-in-law's honeymoon and John and Eleanor Bateman have been very helpful, they also have a website on internet, don't have url handy but you could easily find under Kinsale. They also have tons of links from their page to things to do in Kinsale. Are you stuck on Cork? Another place I might recommend is Youghal, a bit further east, and stay at Aherne's, wonderful place and exquisite seafood. Also, if you like things a bit more charming go a little further east and check out Ardmore. It has a wonderful beach, lovely people and Paddy Mac's pub or the Marine Bar are lots of fun. We rented a cottage there so can't recommend place to stay but if you check the Irish Tourist Board's website they have a great listing of B&Bs, inns, etc. done by location. Have fun. (And don't miss the heritage centre in Cobh, particularly if you had ancestors who emmigrated from Ireland.) Mavis <BR>

Old May 12th, 1999, 03:13 PM
Jeff

John, <BR> May I suggest the Sea View House Hotel in Ballylickey. I am staying there myself in a few weeks. They have a website; E-mail me if you'd like details. It sounds like it might fit the bill.

Old May 20th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Derek

Kinsale was very nice, stayed at Mrs. Prior's B&B. But the tops was Valentia Island-very rustic. Got the pleasure of freeing a ram which had hooked its horns on fencewire. Stayed at a B&B with a palm tree in the front yard-think the family was name O'Sullivan. Great time. <BR>