Great new guidebook for London

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great new guidebook for London

DK Eyewitness publishers have added a specialty title to their guidebook offerings: 'London Like a Local.'
Back during the '80s and '90s while doing some semi-pro travel writing on the side, I came across dozens of books with titles like 'Hidden Gems' or 'Insiders Guide' or 'Secret Locations'. Every country/city seemed to have some written about them. Those kinds of books were pretty hit and miss and by now, have become cliche models, oft copied by online blogs.
Not so, this above title.

This book lives up to its name and offers many useful listings for those who may be London-bound. New residents would also find much of value in these pages. Gotta love a guidebook that occasionally prefaces descriptions with 'Forget______(insert name of traditionally-held frontrunner), instead visit...' Written by locals, people who call London home. My kinda guidebook!
Xmas is coming and this would make a superb gift for your Brit-bound loved one (or boss).
Bravo to the team of authors, Florence, Marlene and Olivia!

I am done. the end

Last edited by zebec; Nov 24th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 08:47 AM

This sounds great. We are hoping to spend a month or so in London at some point and this guidebook will be perfect. Thanks for posting. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 09:46 AM

I’m going in a week and the book looks great! Thanks for the tip.. I’m gonna get it.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

RG & KT--you are both very welcome. FWIW, it might seem obvious, but there are zero lodgings listed, given the theme. Would love to have also seen 'bodyworks' (shiatsu, ayurvedic, Thai, trad massage, reflexology et al) addressed but no such luck. A worthy purchase nonetheless.
I am done. but not really
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Sameer, this was one of the best guidebooks that I came across this year, after combing through dozens of London-related ones at our downtown Reference Library. I also checked out the city's slightly-smaller such library, in a suburb, to make the survey complete. We need more books like this one, written by locals, not mercenary travel writers whose familiarity is limited to a handful of visits that somehow becomes represented as 'vast expertise'.
I am done. the pages
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Just discovered that this one is part of a new DK Eyewitness six-book series: London, Paris, NY, Tokyo, Dublin and San Francisco.
Next month, they'll release their 7th book in that series: Shnrelb, the capitol of Travelvania.
I am done. the end