COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great Inexpensive Places to Stay in Paris

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone! My husband and I are leaving for Paris on January 1st. We're young and excited and on a budget. Anyone have ideas of where we should stay? Any other insights into Paris would be so much appreciated!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM

If you use the search box at the top of the page, enter Paris hotels and you will get a list of the recent threads with the same questions.

We stayed at the Hotel College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/accueil-us.html) in March and plan on staying there again in April. It's by no means luxurious but very clean and comfortable.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi AP,

What's your budget?

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM

My brother and his wife were quite happy last week at the Hôtel Utrillo in Montmartre, just off rue des Abbesses (on rue Aristide Bruant) -- it has recently been remodeled, has free internet, a sauna, cable TV, minibars and other interesting features. Rooms are small, but that's normal for Paris. It was about 75 € a night. It can be booked by internet.

If you're really on a small budget, you might want to try the Hôtel Henri IV on Ile de la Cité. It is absolutely the best location in the city, but the toilet and shower are in the hall, and the rooms are quite rustic (but very clean). I think it is still no more than about 40 €. It cannot be booked by internet.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
JBX

Here's a recent thread about budget accommadations in Paris .... there I go, using the 'B' word when I know it's best to provide a price range. Sooooo, this is about Paris hotels in/around the 100 euro price >>>
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34877440
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Here is a recent thread with lots of posts about favorite inexpensive hotels...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34847709
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM

We loved the Hotel Jeanne'd'Arc in the Marais. It is a budget level hotel with a lot of charm, very clean, a lovely staff, and an excellent location. Trouble is it books up months in advance. You can check it out on the Eurocheap website or google the hotel. We loved the Marias - it is a very chic area, great cafes and restaraunts, shopping and museums and I think it would appeal to you. It is within walking distance to Louvre, Islands and the left bank. Check it out!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hi

Probably worth ploughing through these pages : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...n-paris-75.htm

It is a list by arrondissement of different priced hotels

Peter
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I wish everyone (both OP and folks who reply) would all say the price in Euro per night. It's really helpful to see 40 euro, or under 100 euro or whatever
;-)
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I would also suggest using Priceline. We just booked 6 nights in the Novotel Les Halles for a double $115/night (around 90 Euro).

That hotel is rated at 4* (which means it costs more - nothing else ).

There are many 3* hotels on Priceline you can get for much cheaper.

Use a site like BiddingForTravel (but don't post there!) or BetterBidding to see a hotel list that Priceline will use and to see what others are getting winning bids for.

Kevin
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM

This usually starts a fire-fight, but I'm impervious to flame...

The best values in lodging (square feet/quality/amenities per Euro) are found outside the central zone. This makes sense, because room rates reflect the hoteliers' land costs.

I like the hotel-alixia.com properties for their proximity to the RER (suburban express train). This puts one closer to Notre Dame (in time) than a subway ride from the Eiffel Tower/Rue Cler area.

Some claim that being able to step out of one's hotel into the ParisLand theme park is worth double or triple for the same accommodation, but that's a subjective judgment. I value the ability to stretch out in our bedroom while the kids play video games in their bedroom over being in the heart of Paris.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:30 AM

We paid 75Euro/night for a top floor double (only 16 rooms) at Hotel Riviera, Rue Acacias, in the 17th. It was close to 3 metro stops, the Champs Elysee, local shops, a street market, restaurants and a Monoprix. Walking distance to the Air France airport bus stop. Altogether, very well-priced, clean as can be and great for sightseeing. Check out the web site.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM

You know, another alternative is an apartment. We rented one through VRBO and really loved it. I've spent the last few months travelling between Toronto and Montreal on business, staying in a hotel, and I loved having a separate bedroom, more space and even a kitchen. We didn't do a lot of cooking, but it was great for breakfasts, snacks and even dinner 1 or 2 nights. It was definitely cheaper than a lot of hotels would be. We stayed in the 15th, which isn't tourist central, but a residential area, close to the metro and about 15-20 minutes to the Eiffel Tower.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Another vote for Hotel College de France. See my trip report for a detailed review of the hotel (under Day 6).

Kevin - just curious, you mentioned using BiddingforTravel but do not post there, any reason for that? The reason I am curious is because I had a bad experience there recently. I agree with you, lurk but no post, which actually does not do the website any good.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM

hi. our first 2 trips were in a hotel (champ du mars) but the size of it got to us. this time we rented an apt and for a bit more, we got much much more.it also made us feel like we lived there and our time spent in the apt, although not much, was much more enjoyable. also the size (bed, storage, closets, bathroom) and a refigerator for our cheeses was great also.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM

jhw0101,

LOL. I've been a longtime lurker there. When I bid on my Paris hotel, I decided to post my results so that others would benefit from it. No clue what I did wrong - I think it was that I booked directly w/Priceline instead of using the link suggested on their site. Next thing I knew I was banned from the site...no reason given at all.

I then did a Google search on biddingfortravel and banned and saw I was in a not so exclusive club

I still lurk there (using a proxy service), but will never post there again. I also will be giving BetterBidding my patronage...they are much nicer there

Kevin
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM

http://www.hotelmonge.com/
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Kevin,

OMG, same experience here. I was banned from the site as well, hahaha, I thought I was the only one. Their administrator, Sheryl, is definitely trained by military I think, she is running the site like a boot camp.

I think the reason I was banned was because I also posted a similar post on BetterBidding. I was not aware that by being a user of BiddingForTravel, you are not supposed to look at other competing websites

Anyhow, I think the website owners are just too eager to generate revenues. I was also "reminded" by BetterBidding that I placed my PL bids without going through their link (even though the bid was unsuccessful and I was just throwing in low ball bids to test the water). It took me several emails to explain. I finally bid successfully on PL using their link, that's when I finally got some peace.

You are right, BetterBidding is slightly nicer. In the future, I will just lurk and no longer post. I am sure many other users feel the same way. As I said, this is NOT good for those websites. They should encourage users' posts. The more posts they get, the more followings they will have, and more revenue will come as a result. Have they not heard of Google before?
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM

We've stayed at two Rick Steves' recommended hotels -- The Grand Hotel Leveque (which just completed a nice renovation) and The Hotel du Champ de Mars...both are in the 7th in the Rue Cler area, and under $100USD a night.

For me, that's a budget place particularly for a big city. We enjoyed both and would love to go back.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM

We just got back from a fabulous trip to Italy and Paris. We spent 3 nights in a cute little hotel in Paris called Hotel Le Sevigne. It is located in the Le Marais. Walking distance to amazing restaurants and across the street from St Paul's metro stop.
We paid 88Euro per night.

It was cute, quaint and clean. We enjoyed our stay there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO