Great dentists in Budapest??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a very good dentist in Budapest to use for serious dental work in the future that could be combined with a trip there.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Beats the hell out of sightseeing !!

Muck
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Intrepid

I've heard of using a trip for a tax break but this definitely takes the cake!

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:14 AM

European dentists are competent. Skill levels equal any of the US. I have used Polish sources...at equal of USA, costs are fractional. Inquire locally for sources.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. There was a blurb in Frommers Budget Travel magazine about this not too long ago. It mentioned some guy getting his tooth capped for about $23 USD. The dentists are very well trained and competent but the downside is that you may not have any legal recourse if something goes wrong as you would in the US (lawsuits galore!)
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:37 AM

This is not as bizarre as it sounds.

Lots of Austrians cross over into Hungary to take advantage of the better prices of Hungarian dentists.

There was a post somewhere (Frommers?) with a lot of details on this subject.

However, the warniing is not to have complicated work done in Hungary, just your run of the mill dentistry. Implants are a definite no-no.

If you are anywhere near Sopron, that is probably the better location, as it is closer to Austria and probably has more dentists catering to "tourists".

Have a good "filling" day!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I wonder how the botox prices run?
You could get filled and de wrinkled at the same time.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM

The first heart transplant was done in South Africa. A popular trip now is to combine some nip and tucking with a safari - considering the exchange rate.

I've read that Hungary is known for its "beauty" treatments.

Personally - I'm going to Rio so I can shop at H. Stearn's and pick up a few baubbles and trinkets while the bruises heal. Plus those cute dark latino boys who aren't in Sweden......
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 03:51 PM

I think I would pay the Us prices for dental work, and just enjoy my trip. I have a huge phobia for the dentist so my trip would be RUINED.
What ever floats your boat!! :]
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Has only one that post here at Fodors had any dental work done in Hungary? And if so, what kind of dental work was it? Just fillings? Were you pleased with the work also. Thank you for any help with this issue. Alizka
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Gee, another reason for a trip to Europe as one who is about to start the process for a 3rd dental implant.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Hi houdi,

For serious dental work I would suggest at least two opinions from professionals in your community.

==Mike
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Dental and medical costs in Central Europe are low because wages are low. Polish doctors work three jobs! They work in a hospital, a clinic and a private office. I have had an EKG and a 45 minute conference about my health, it cost $15. I have had dental work done and paid fractions of the price in the USA. Quality? As good or better. The US Peace Corps used Polish medical and dental sources in Poland. High prices in the US may not equate with superior services. Polish doctors and dentists regularly travel to international meetings.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Whatever you are getting, I would definitely shy away from anything requiring general anesthesia.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:57 AM

There was an article recently in Dublin about a travel agent who had a lot of work done on her teeth in Budapest. She now arranges trips and is her own advertising.

Dental care ois very expensive in Ireland and we have no Dental Insurance like the U.S. I am seriously considering it myself. Anyone out there done this?

I just found this on the web

http://www.kreativdent.co.uk/

Never heard of them I am still searching for the Irish one!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Ardfert

Not all of the Irish dental prices are so high as to make it worthwhile to go to Hungary.I found a Dublin dentist Edmond O`Flaherty ,telephone +35312842570 whose prices are quite reasonable for crowns-about $350-400.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Dental implant are VERY expensive which I need and I still can't afford €400 for a crown when they always fall out on me no matter what country I have then done in. I have no luck with Dentists.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Wow - 400 for a crown! You can't get anything done her for less than $1200 per tooth. And although some of us have dental insurance it's fairly useless - it pays only a portion of what they consider "customary" charges - and there's not a dentist in the area that charges anywhere near what the insurer calls customary (perhaps they might somewhere in the backwoods). And this isn;t Park Avenue dentistry for the stars - those guys are $3000 and up per cap.

However, I would still be hesitant to have any non-emergency dental work done away from home. Not because of the quality of the work (and unless you know the particular dentist you don;t know that - it does vary a lot) but just because there are too many potential issues that could arise in treatment, side effects, meds etc - and who wants to be dealing with that in a foreign language and while staying in a hotel. Also, there are certain dental procedures that preclude flying (if you are in the middle of a cap procuedure you may experience pain from trapped air under a temporary cap, for example).
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM

In 2002, I did a market research report on the European dental implant industry. Germans and Austrians are the most likely to have their implants done "over the border" in Poland or the Czech Republic. The quality of training is very high; the cost of services is quite low and you don't have to wait long for appointments. The complication rates are also low, no worse than having implants done in the home country; moreover, the dentists I interviewed said complications were actually more common in the UK than in Poland or Czech Republic.
I don't think I would travel to Eastern Europe for a serious dental procedure, but if the choice was between Eastern Europe and not having the procedure at all, I'd travel.
I will look back at the sources I interviewed for the report and see if there were any Budapest recommendations.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM

HI,
I used a dentist in the same building my wife lives in:
Thokoly ut 134/B. It is on the number seven blue and red lines. I think the stop is Amerika utca. It is on the right side. The dentist is named dr. Simon. He has very modern equipment, speaks English and is well trained. Both my wife and I have gone to him.
Apuka

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -