Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great British Heritage Pass worthwhile for Cornwall and Devon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM
bawc

Is the GBH Pass worthwhile for a four day visit to Cornwall and Devon?

We will be staying in London for 5 days, where we want to see the Mews and Hampton Court, then going to Dartmoor where we want to see Castle Drogo and Hestercombe Gardens. Then we ride horses for 3 1/2 days, then we will spend 3 days in Cornwall, before a final day in Wells on our way to Heathrow.

I should also mention we are traveling with our 11 month old son.
With such a scattered schedule, and the unknown of traveling with a small child, I am not sure whether to plan in advance and save money, or to pay as we go.

Old May 4th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for "pay as you go" - if you decide not to do so much, as I find one often tends to do, then you will have saved money. If you do everything you planned, then you can always have been clever in hindsight, it's not a fortune you'll be saving after all.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM

It is especially worthwhile. (since m_kingdom is not eligilble to buy the GBHP he probably doesn not know how valuable they are)

Just a small sample of the properties included in Devon/Cornwal would include Knightshayes Court (a GLORIOUS garden), Powderham Castle, Castle Drogo - a Luytens masterpiece, Tintagel, Cothele, Lanhydrock, Buckland Abbey, Totnes Castle, Restormel Castle, St Mawes, Chysauster roman village, Pendennis, and St Michael's Mount.

The cost of a GBHP is so relatively low compared to the possible benefits - do get one longe enought to use in London, Wells and Devon/Cornwall.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Ivy

I totally agree with Janis here. We got the GBHP for our trip last year and it was a Steal - you save SOO much money you can basically make up the cost of the pass even if you only visit 2 properties. It's really worth it. Also, it gives you the freedom to just pop into a place if you want to check it out. Since you don't pay for each site you don't feel obligated to stay and do the whole thing. That way if baby gets fussy and you have to duck out of a castle after only 20 minutes you don't feel like you paid for nothing! It will really help you feel flexible, I say go for it!
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:07 PM
bawc

If I understand you correctly, you would recommend buying the GBH Pass for the whole 14 days, including London. Or would we be better off with a 7 day pass just for Cornwall and Devon even though we would be riding horses for some of that time? You have been a great help!

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM

bawc: They have 4 day, 7 day, 15 and 30 day passes. Are you riding out of a stables or B&B? If so, even on your riding days you can probably squeeze in a garden or castle.

For you I recommend either a 7 or 15 day version. It is not as hugely valuable IN London. But if you plan on visiting any or all of -- Windsor, Hampton Court Palace, Kens Palace, The Tower/Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Greenwich - then you'll get good value in London too.

If you think you'll visit a few of those - get a 15 day pass.