SITGES in Barcelona? Is the beach nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to go to Sitges from Barcelona, is this worth going to ? Any other areas we can visit from BArcelona that will be of interest... no more museums please since we will be coming from Italy & Paris.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
(Writing this from our hotel room in Baecelona on break between Gaudi stops and retail therapy at el Corte Ingles - a rainy Monday here.)

The beach in Sitges is very nice but don't expect fine sand - rather coarse but still barefoot stuff, not cobbles like many in France.

More than many cities, Barcelona is one to take at your own pace - you can't scratch the surface in a short time, so either decide what "theme" you like and focus on that (ours is architecture and design) or just start walking. Cabs and buses/metro are easy, any direction rewarding.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:39 AM

As other ideas, you can also go to Monserrat as a day trip from Barcelona (see the monastery, the holy cave, adn do some hiking), or to the vineyards where they make cava - Spain's sparkling wine.

Karen
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
Singletail

I think you can get a great deal out of just BEING IN Barcelona even if you never set foot into another museum..just walking around and looking at the architecture, experiencing places like "The Ramble" and so forth can be fun.

I agree with the assessment of Sitges above...powdery fine sand is not a hallmark of most Med beaches but if you want a very quick "beach fix" it is the closest one to Barcelona and very easy to reach by train.

Enjoy your stay and no, the gay folks that like to hang out in Sitges won't make you feel the least uncomfortable; they're probably tired of museums, too!

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.Does this mean Sitges is ok for overnight and then move on to Monserrat? Figueras town worthwhile? We love to go shopping, do they have that in Sitges as well. Anyway, I was wondering if you can go island hopping from Sitges...
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:15 PM

We were in Barcelona for 10 days last April and took a day trip to Sitges. I thought the town had a certain charm -- narrow streets with white-washed buildings on the Mediterranean and a lovely promenade that took you along the water to the more posh part of town (some celebrity soccer player lives there). There were lots of cafes and restaurants and lots of shopping. It was not unlike Provincetown, MA in some ways. It was a very easy train trip from Barcelona, and a we had a fun day. We had met some German friends of friends there who chose to eat at one of those "tourist" restaurants where you get seven courses for seven bucks. I wouldn't recommend that, as there were many better choices -- though it was novel, especially a small plastic container of yogurt as the "dessert course."