Great Books About Rome

Search

Great Books About Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Books About Rome

Looking for books to read in preparation for a visit to Rome. What novels or non-fiction would give me a good sense of place and understanding about the history and struggles faced by the people. I love historical fiction.

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Well, if you have any interest at all in Ancient Rome I can recommend a couple.
"The First Man in Rome" by Colleen McCullough, fiction, set in the time of Gaius Julius Caesar is a fun read, though quite complex (all those Roman names soudn the same) and long. I particularly liked her discriptions of the life of women of the time.

"A taste of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa, non-fiction is a book about the cuisine of Ancient Rome, complete with recipes. In fact, I'm having a dinner party tonight, using only recipes from this book. There's also some interesting stuff in the book about food, shopping and dining practices of the time.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM

<i>Rubicon</i>, by Tom Holland, is exceptionally good! Though nonfiction, it's a gossipy account of the strivings and conflicts of the overly ambitious people whose drive for glory and personal gain brought about the death of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Roman Empire.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Simon Scarrow has written a series of novels (thrillers) set in ancient Rome. He is generally considered to be as good as or better than Bernard Cornwell for this type of historical fiction.

Valerio Massimo Manfredi writes historical epics based on fact.

Lindsay Davis writes fictional detective stories set in ancient Rome.

And of course &quot;I, Claudius&quot;, Julius Caesar, Robert Harris's &quot;Pompeii&quot;... and I'm sure you will get many more suggestions.

I love these threads, because I find out about authors and books I've not come across before!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I picked this one up but haven't read it yet - waiting for my next trip to Rome! &quot;Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling&quot; by Ross King. It is the story of the Sistene Chapel ceiling. The reviews I've seen have been positive. I re-read &quot;Angels and Demons&quot; by Dan Brown before my last visit. I tried to visit many of the significat places from the book. It gave a bit of direction to my wanderings one day.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM

oops, sorry Cato. I just reread your original post, Angels and Demons does not fit your request.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM

I enjoyed Robert J. Hutchinson's whimsical journey through the Vatican City in his &quot;When In Rome&quot;. Alot of inside scoops about what goes on behind St. Peter's doors!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Steven Saylor's Roma sub Rosa series is terrific (mysteries set in ancient Rome). Roman Blood is the first book, and all are available on Amazon. I like his books better than Lindsay Davis, myself.

I also enjoyed Paul Hofmann's Seasons of Rome and Alan Epstein's As the Romans Do. [both travel essays]

Ross King's Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling (mentioned above) is excellent reading.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
jgg

Irving Stone's &quot;Agony and the Ecstasy&quot;. Historical fiction biography of Michelangelo. Must read for anyone going to Rome and Florence.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Lived and studied in Rome for four months - definitely read &quot;I, Claudius&quot; and the sequel &quot;Claudius the God&quot; - then head to the Forum!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Steven Saylor's Roma sub Rosa series looks very interesting.