Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Great 7 person FAMILY flat or home in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking recommendations for a large, 3 or more bedroom flat in London, to accommodate four adults and three kids (aged 9--13). Prefer central London, to avoid expensive train rides from the 'burbs. Hopefully we can find something for no more than $4,000/week--and even that is quite a stretch!!!

(I'll post something similar for Paris...so if you know of one there, head on over to the France tag!)

Thanks, all!!!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM

http://www.apartmentsw1.com/prices-harley62.htm

This might be a good choice for you. Really comfortable, clean apartments which we stayed in during our trip in 2006. They are an easy 5 minute walk to a train station and there was a couple of supermarkets nearby.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM

You don't say how long you want the house for.

We found our flat in London through www.sabbaticalhomes.com(which would suit you for both cities). There are houses on
there as well as flats. While the owners are generally looking for longer terms tenants, it's possible to find short term rentals as well. Even if the owner is asking for longer terms, sometimes they have unclaimed weeks in-between leases so it's worth an email to the owner to ask.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Cathies, thank you. The three bedroom flats would be great. Harley St is a great area, nr the Zoo i think?

Goddess, good point about "how long?" It is for one week. Will check the site.

Thank you both for taking time to reply!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM

Hi CaliNurse, I just had a bit of a look at the website I gave you. Don't be put off by the website which is very ordinary! The actual apartments are great.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 02:22 PM

CaliNurse, I don't have any brilliant words of wisdom, but we took our 3 little surfs (or serfs) to London and Paris this past spring. I'll work on my trip report ... We had 5 people and stayed in the Marriott County Hall (using points), so that doesn't really help -
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Surfmom, lol re the l'il serfs!
ALL suggestions are welcome.Thank you.
You've put me onto something. It may turn out less $ to book two separate hotel rooms, if we can find great deals through the hotels, or Priceline or Hotwire. Alas, my Starwood ppints are nearly gone.
ANd i'm sure my hard-working daughter in law would LOVE an excuse to not be in a kitchen
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
ltr

We will be staying here in a few weeks:

http://www.vrbo.com/118200

We found others we liked on VRBO, but this one is located well, and suited the 5 adults traveling together because of the 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. There is an additional alcove for sleeping as well. (the website states bathrooms, but there are 3. One in not in-suite)

I can give you a review when we return November 21.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM

It's really NOT necessary to cook when you rent an apartment. A small kitchen is convenient to keep snacks for the kids, and maybe cereal and coffee for breakfast if you don't want to go out. And also for take-out food, which, in London, we get often to save money and just eat a little less.

But it's really nice to have the space and privacy an apartment provides.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Mimar, thank you for that reminder: just 'cause there's a kitchen, doesn't mean we're under an obligation to cook. The ability to spread out is a big plus when traveling with three grandkids!!! Thanks for encouragement to choose a flat over a hotel.

Ltr, that apt looks amazing and perfect--and within our budget!! The owner has other properties; I noticed he is complimented by all as a good host/property owner. It's a great location-we stayed a few blocks on the other side of the tube station . And it's a block or so from Portobello Road for the Saturday market. Looking forward to reading of your experience, at end of next month.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM
ltr

Calinurse, we arrived last night and since I am turned upside down on my sleep, I am wide awake while the rest of my group is slumbering. The apartment is nice. It is in the basement, but doesn't feel like it because it has patio areas outside of 2 of the bedrooms and the living room.

It is actually 2 1/2 bath. The 1/2 bath is off a small room that has a sofa bed in it. The doorway going into that bath (and the washer and dryer) is only about 5 feet tall so you do have to duck but at least there is another place for people to get ready.

There is plenty of space for your group. Nice dining area with a large table that has six chairs and you could bring the chair by the computer area in for the 7th person. The kitchen is quite nice, with plenty of cooking equipment if you wanted to fix something, or just have beakfast before you leave for the day.

Living room could easily hold your group on the 3 large couches.

Miscellaneous "stuff" They have three hair dryers and an ironing board and iron, computer but no printer and wireless access for laptops, a cordless phone which came in handy last night when we ordered food.

Here are the only downsides I see:

The shower in one of the bathrooms is a hand held one instead of a stall shower, but that tub is a jacuzzi tub with jets.

The bathroom (the red one on their website) has one step up to get enter it.

The twin beds shown are very narrow. I called it a convent room, but I slept in there and the bed is comfortable, just narrow, but I have a kingsize bed at home that I claim 3/4 of the space. It would be fine for children, and since there is the alcove with a sofa bed, and couch in the living room that makes into a bed AND the convent room, the kids could all have separate sleeping places if they wanted.

There is not an abundance of towels, so you woudl have to ask the to bring enough for your group and you might have wash them, but there is a washer and dryer inside the flat.

Please let me know if you have any questions while I am here and can check them out.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

LTR, thank you for the "live from the scene" report!!!
The last flat i stayed in was also a basement/below ground level,as are many of the town houses in UK. Ours also had a "patio" at back.
I know that area--we stayed on the other side of the main road (Notting Hill Gate?) in Palace Gardens Terrace. You chose a great location.
I appreciate the details about the towels and beds. One place i stayed in Paris, just about the ONLY saving grace was an enormous number of towels!
How long a walk is it to the nearrest tube stn--i assume that's Notting Hill Gate?
Tomorrow is the Portobello Rd Market, quite nr you. On Sunday, head over (i think it is East from there) to the north side of Hyde Park, along Bayswater Road, for the Sunday art market--paintings and doo-dads for sale, some amazingly inexpensive. Great for souvenirs. And of course, you are not far walk from your flat, across to Kensington Gardens and the Orangerie for tea!
Have a great trip, and I hope you fit in some rest time! Thanks again for using your jet-lag awakeness to report on the flat!
Best wishes to you and your group for a fantastic holiday!!!!