Grand Hotel des Balcons vs St-Jacques

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Hotel des Balcons vs St-Jacques

Hi
On another thread 'peteralan' mentioned that he was familiar with both hotels. If he or anyone can provide pros and cons on either, I'd appreciate it.
The Balcons has been said by some to be lacking in charm but it offers a great breakfast and also I am more familiar with the 6th than the 5th as a place to stay.
Single is 80 euro; this one overlooks the street.

The St-Jacques seems to be oozing charm. They offer a single for 73e and a double for 103 euros. Single is on top floor, elevator goes up to the floor below.

Price is a consideration for this short return visit, but I'm not going to worry about 10-15 euros either way.

I do worry about single rooms sometimes, they are often glorified cells.

comments about these two welcome, I've already done previous narrowing down.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM

elaine: I stayed at the St. Jacques last fall and loved it. I had a single on the 2nd floor in the back of the building and my friend who joined me in Paris for a few days had the single room at the top. It was really a very nice, large, bright airy room with a little balcony where you could step out and see the pantheon. The bathroom had a tub with a handheld shower. She loved it. I would definitely stay in the room at the top if I was going again solo.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

just the sort of info I was hoping for

Did you have breakfast at the hotel?
I'm the sort who likes it before I go out in the a.m., if it's decent
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:41 PM

elaine, if you check out your own post from May asking this same question, it had a bunch of answers that might help.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM

elaine:

I did not eat breakfast at the hotel because I found some little cafes where I could get cafe creme and a croussant much cheaper than the 6E charged at the hotel. The breakfast room looked very inviting though. I also brought with me a little beverage heater that I could pop into a cup and heat up water for tea or some instant coffee bags that I brought along, just in case.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM

Hi elaine....yes I did stay at both of these places within a space of five weeks.In relation to St Jacques, we obviously did not have one of the better rooms ( 1st floor I think )and it did not have a balcony as some did. The room was fine but looked out onto the street . So while I had no complaints I didn't have the same experience as others on higher floors etc.In regard to breakfast , I wouldn't bother ..fairly ordinary though ok.I also felt the area was not as interesting as the 6th. The Balcons room was one with a balcony overlooking the surrounding area, lovely theatre and surrounding square. At that stage there were other members of my family with us and we had four rooms ...all different and all with balconies. The breakfast was very special..buffet style with lots of choice in a nice breakfast room.Sorry this hasn't helped you much. I can only say from my experience I would choose the Balcons again if I had to choose between the two.Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons with a friend four years ago. The location is excellent. The lobby and breakfast room are attractive, but the rooms have less character. There was a small balcony just wide enough to stand on, overlooking the very narrow street.

I only had the buffet breakfast once. It was not included in the price. I don't remember that it was extraordinary, but it was good enough. Mostly I preferred to go out and get a croissant as we got started in the morning.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM

I also stayed at the St Jacques (last March) and I had a single on the top floor but not the other one that was described. Mine had a regular stall shower, and it did not have a balcony or view of the Pantheon. So there must be two singles on that floor. But my room was quite large for a single and I would definitly stay at the hotel again. I didn't have breakfast there (it was €7 euro). I usually had breakfast at a cafe a few blocks down Rue des ecoles that I got used to my last trip to Paris when I stayed at the Minerve (it's across the street from there). A few times I went to Brioch Doree on Boul St Mich, about a five minute walk from the hotel. They have a really pretty good breakfast deal of two croissant, juice and coffee for €3,50. I really liked the location of the St. Jacques, and it's now my "favorite" hotel in Paris.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

Okay peteralan, you've just about sold me. I'm also considering hotels in the 1er around the Louvre, would staying in the 6e have more shopping, cafes and nightlife? I'm looking for a real neighborhood feel. Also, is it me or does it seem like most of the hotel web sites are not secure? Is it normal to have to fax or call most hotels in Paris to reserve a room?
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

SusanP
I've not forgotten that I've inquired on these hotels before, I was just trying to elicit some new input, especially since several people have posted on one or the other recently.
thanks all for your patience and the info.