Granada to Madrid - bus or train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be traveling from Granada to Madrid on October 12. I am trying to determine the best method of travel.

The ALSA bus is offering a premium bus at 15:00 for 90€, 4hr 30m ride. We'd have to taxi to the Granada bus station and then taxi to our hotel from the Madrid bus station. We'll be at Hotel Preciados - anyone have any idea what the ride should cost from the bus station?

RENFE website looks like there should be a train/bus at 14:45 for 136,80€, 3hr 56m ride. We could either walk or taxi to the train station. We could either walk or taxi to the Granada train station; probably would want to just get a taxi to the hotel, again, any idea of taxi cost?

When you factor in the bus switch with the train option, does the train really keep the 3hr 56m time or does it take longer than that? The Madrid bus station seems much further out so I'm wondering if we'd spend more time and money getting to our hotel than if we'd take the train. Thoughts on one being better than the other? I'd rather save time than money.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Can't really answer your question on timing, but I'd take the train in a heartbeat because I hate sitting in a bus.

My reply is aimed at your date, in case you are not aware (I wasn't when planning our trip last year): October 12 is a national holiday. There might be a lot of people on the move so best not to wait for the last minute to make reservations. Good luck!
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 08:23 PM
kja

While I generally prefer trains, I found the busses in Spain extremely comfortable, and I loved that my luggage went into an undercarriage, so I didn't need to maneuver it onto the train.

More to the point: IIRC, the train from Madrid to Granada was, at least for some time in recent years, not operating. Please check carefully to determine whether it is up and running again! You might try some searches of this forum....

Sorry I can't be more informative!
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 11:12 PM

Taxi from the bus stop in Avenida America to the Hotel Preciados would be some 3 miles, 15-20 minutes and 10-15€ depending on traffic.

The bus/train option from Granada, I believe first take you from Granada to Antequera by bus and then train from there to the Madrid Atocha station.

The taxi ride from the Atocha railway station to the hotel is about half the distance and half the price indicated above. And you can be pretty sure the 3:56 is accurate. Probably a little wait for the train in Antequera, but the AVE trains in Spain are always on schedule almost to the second.