Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Report Part 2: Stay outside of Dingle town, I actually did like Waterford Crystal tour, no more than 2-3 nights in Dublin

Search

Trip Report Part 2: Stay outside of Dingle town, I actually did like Waterford Crystal tour, no more than 2-3 nights in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Kinsale, we stayed at the Old Presbytery for 2 nights. Very nice location, most comfortable, wonderful beds!!! and very nice people. We enjoyed Kinsale a lot. It was a little bigger town than I thought it would be ? but very relaxing. The boys went and played golf at the local course and said it was just so beautiful ? they had an excellent time. Girls stayed in town and shopped and relaxed. BIG RECOMMENDATION: Do eat at Fishy Fishy Café. It really was the some of the best seafood I?ve ever had! We were on the list for 45 minute wait, but it was worth it. You can just sit outside in the sun and have some wine! Ate at Crackpots that evening, a lovely, cute restaurant that was pretty yummy.

Drove from Kinsale to Dingle. Absolutely loved the Dingle peninsula. I was anticipating this part of the trip, because I had heard so much about it, and it was true. Really beautiful ? what you think of Ireland looks like if you?ve never been. Did the Dingle peninsula drive which is a must! Not only b/c of the scenery (Slea Head), but also because of the historical sites. I really enjoyed these! Monastery ruins from BC, church, castle and fort ruins, old graveyards, so much history! Regarding Dingle town, I was a little disappointed. I guess I didn?t realize how touristy it really is! Again, a bigger town that I thought it was going to be, and too many tour buses! We stayed at Heaton?s guest house which was lovely and the best breakfast the whole trip, but we elected to drive into Dingle town (kind of a hike). Since we did this, looking back, I would have stayed in an Irish farmhouse on the Dingle peninsula and really felt like I was in the relaxing countryside. We saw a couple that did this and I would recommend it. Spend a few hours in Dingle town shopping, etc. and then go back to your Irish farmhouse and then back to Dingle town for the music. We really enjoyed the music! We were looking forward to it by this time on the trip, because we really never were in the right place for it the rest of the trip ? places kept having guitar players singing American songs the whole time! Went to O?Flaherty?s for the music ? excellent. Also some of the best shepard?s pie and stew on the whole trip was at Murphy?s Pub in Dingle.

From Dingle we drove to Shannon Airport with a stop in Tralee to eat. Tralee did not seem like a city I would have enjoyed. From Shannon we flew to London for 3 nights.

Hope this was somewhat helpful! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Brooke,
My husband and I are taking similar trip in a couple of weeks, So your info was good. We have reservations for Dingle at Heaton's. How were the rooms? and what kind of rates did you get? ALso how long was the drive from Kinsale to Dingle, Did you go to Killarney? How long was the drive to Shannon from Dingle? Thanks so much
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Hi Brooke...glad you liked Heaton's (wasn't the owner a character). I absolutely loved the porridge - great way to start the day! ;-)

The Conor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula is just superb.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Hi Brooke, my impression of Dingle town was very different than yours. We were there the last week in May and I did not think it was all overly touristy, nor did I see hordes of tour buses. We stayed at Greenmount House (a real gem IMHO) and really enjoyed being the short walking distance to town so we browse around the shops and not worry about driving in (or back). So I think being in the "off season" may be a different experience.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Newfy: We did all our travel planning through the aa site: http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/ - very helpful in setting expectations. At Heaton's our rate wass Euro 58 per person sharing. Very nice rooms - very very clean. A modern feel. Owners was very nice! Did not go to Killarney - wanted to get to Dingle right away.
One2travel: Yes! We did Connor Pass - can't believe I forgot to mention it! And it was beautiful. Really pretty. Enjoyed that alot.
And Chris, yes, going in the high season I'm sure affected our perception. But I don't know - I just didn't get the "feel" from Dingle town that I was expecting. I guess I was expecting a smaller town, similar to some of the very small towns we visited in Italy a couple of years ago, and it wasn't that. Still think I would've liked an Irish Farmhouse holiday and drive to Dingle town.