Revised itinerary for Ireland

Apr 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Revised itinerary for Ireland

We will be in Ireland in July and our initial plan is to collect our car at Dublin Airport and had towards either Kilkenny or Waterford.
Day 2 to Cork/ Kinsale -2nts
Day 4 Kinsale to Kenmare -2nts
Day 6 Dingle - 1 nt
Day 7 Tralee or Limerick ??? -1nt
Day 8 Galway -2nts
Day 10Dublin - 3nts ( using one day to go to Belfast on train/bus day tour)
Day 13- Fly to LHR
Any suggestions as to improve our trip and places to stay?
Apr 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM

Spent last month in Dingle, and I would recommend that you stay there two or three nights, and not in Tralee or Limerick. I couldn't wait to get out of Limerick, but unless you have friends or family or something there. It gives you the chance to do the Slea Head drive, or maybe go to Inch Beach and enjoy the countryside a bit more.

If you're driving to stay in either Cork or Kinsale, I recommend Kinsale. Cork is an almost impossible city to drive in. It looks like as you approach Cork, the M8 becomes N8 and connects to the N26 which circles Cork, then on the N27 which becomes the 600 and takes you right into Kinsale.

The distances are also quite manageable, so you could easily stay in Kinsale one night, Kenmare one night and 3 nights in Dingle - just to give you a chance to relax and enjoy your time a bit more.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Sheri_lp: Thank you for input. I am leaning towards Dingle any suggstions for B&Bs? Kinsale was our choice. The rason w wanted more nts in Kenmare was the other peninsula to ROK ( which is likely to be busy at that time of year. Is Tralee worth driving thru'?
Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:11 AM

In Dingle, I really enjoyed the Cill Bhreac (like Kill Vrac), and Angela the owner just did some re-decorating so it should be quite freshened up.

I didn't to the ROK this trip, but I did the Beara Peninsula which was very pretty, and I think would be even nicer in summer.

You may just have to drive thru Tralee, but it's more like just the place where locals go shopping, or to a larger cinema.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM

I spent 3 weeks there in december 09, we had an amazing time and were lucky with nice weather for winter. I agree with everything said by sheri, we couldn't wait to get out of limerick...literally! the traffic was appalling. We hired a car in dublin, we'd already had 8 nights there and done several day trips: Wicklow and Newgrange, both wonderful bus trips. Our plan was to get to Kenmare. We drove across to Galway 1 nt, pretty town but there is much more to see in the surrounding country. Next day off to Cliffs of Moher, fantastic, must do, with many stops at places of interest along the way ( a constant problem for us! ) onto Tralee, via Limerick, *if i had known about the car ferry across Shannon Bay that would have been better*. Make sure you have a good map as 'sat nav' is not always enough. B&B in Tralee 1 nt, the lovely hostess recommended to drive via O'Connor pass to Dingle, and don't miss the turn off ! what an amazing trip that was and only cars can go that way, buses don't fit. The Dingle peninsula is really interesting and an easy drive around, go clockwise as the coast is then always on yr side of the road. Then to Killarney and on to Kenmare and our stone cottage for 1 week. We drove the Ring of Kerry and Beara Peninsula on different days and always stopped in Kilarney at Miss Connaughts tea room for aft tea. Kenmare is a lovely town, the drive from Killarney to Kenmare is truly beautiful. The national park in Killarney is huge and as you'll be there in summer you'll have more to do than was available in winter. Kenmare was a good base to venture out from, i really enjoyed the driving around that part of ireland. We drove back to Dublin in one day as we had to fly out. Have a great time.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

mazzand clara: you have mentioned most of the places that a friend has suggested. Have read on another posting re. car ferry so I think that is a must. We will be travelling the opposite direction, but Connor Pass is a must as many have recommended it. It's looking like we spend 2 nt in Dingle now.
Day 1 Dublin to Kilkenny
Day 2 Kilkenny - Waterford - Kinsale
Day 3 Kinsale - Kenmare
Day 5 Kenmare - Dingle
Day 7 Dingle - Galway
Day 9 Galway - Dublin
Day 10- 12 Dublin
Day 13 Fly to LHR

How is this sounding? Thanks so much for your input!!!!
Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM

Your original itinerary looked almost identical to my trip in 2005:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...om-ireland.cfm
Depends on the time of your arrival you can visit Glendalough on the way to Kilkenny.
On your day 3, if time/weather permits, check Mizen Head – it’s out of the way, but one of my favorite places in Ireland.
We spent one night in Dingle and the other in Kilrush (nice cliffs at Kilkee – not as popular as cliffs of Moher but we liked them much better ). It gave us extra time on the way to Galway to see Cliffs of Moher and Poulnabrone Dolmen. Back in 2005 there was construction at Cliffs of Moher – hope it’s over by now.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM

Are you going to be driving in Dublin? If not, you could drop your car in Galway and take the train straight into Dublin center. Unless you were planning some special stops on the way, it might just save some hassle with the car return. The train ride was only 3 hrs, and very comfy.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Travfirst: Thanks so much for sharing your itinerary & I do agree it's very similar to my first and sounds very doable at that time of year, unfortunately I wasn't able to open your photos on my computer. So I think I will go back to original on the whole. ? is it wise to book at that tim of year? 1st - 13th July.
Sheri_lp> "Are you going to be driving in Dublin?" No, however in trying to alter car hire from o/s is very difficult so I think we will stick to original plan of driving Galway to Dublin and dropping it at airport and head into town.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Sorry but my "e" key keeps sticking and at times is omitted from words.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM

I made a couple of changes to my car rental - one just before leaving, and one while here (meaning still in Europe) and it was fine.
Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM

Unfortunately site I originally used to share my photos does not exist anymore.

We also drove from Galway to Dublin with few stops and returned rental car at Dublin airport.
The B&B in Dingle was actualy overbooked when we arrived (they did not have the room I reserved months in advance). Also they arranged for the room at the different B&B.

I think it’s better to book in advance or have extended list of places and hope some still have rooms. Years ago sometimes we traveled without advance bookings. Once, well past midnight after stopping in number of hotels & motels, we slept inside the car at the parking lot of the last hotel we asked for availability, they told that next 50 miles all hotels were completely booked; second time we planned to spend the night in Brighton, but by the time we found lodging we were back to London. Now I book all rooms before the trip.
Apr 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM

oh i wish i could go back and do the things i missed! we really enjoyed the Dingle Peninsula, when we got to the town of Dingle there was no one around until church got out (sunday) then there was a mini traffic jam! There were some interesting galleries unfortunately closed on sundays and we meant to return but didn't make it. We bought some supplies at the supermarket, i remember they had some nice souvenir cards. it seemed to me through southern ireland there was a B&B on every bend in the road. Our favourite road trip was the Beara Peninsula, so many windy roads and such fantastic coastline, we made it to the cable car which was only a caravan on wire really, made us laugh out loud. I would have liked to go across to explore the island but we couldn't wait for the next trip, but as you're there in summer there will be a ferry too. We enjoyed the first half of Kerry, setting out from Kenmare but Beara was stunning.
Apr 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM

ps, Cliffs of Moher there is no construction going on now, the carpark is a wasteland but once you cross the road it's ok. The visitor centre is built into the dunes so it is eco friendly. There are plenty of viewing positions and the path is wide. At least you wont be cold like we were, i like the idea of sunset viewing, as we were there at 11am the sun was shining through the cliffs, very squinty! we were lucky as the sky was clear and we could see the islands. A long way for us from Australia...