Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Granada, Seville, Jerez - 11 nights in December

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a US family of 4 with two teen daughters (13 &15) with a last minute trip to Spain. We live in Belgium so we do not have to deal with jet lag so we can hit the ground running. Flying into Malaga late in the evening on the 20th and then heading to Granada for 3 nights, Seville for 3 nights and then Jerez for 3 nights. 9 hotel nights in destination locations with 1 night on each end in Malaga near the airport. We were here about 8 years ago and really enjoyed the area so after our Plan A trip to Egypt was nixed, then the Plan B to Israel suddenly was not an option, a relaxing return visit to Spain fit our schedule.

I am a tad overwhelmed with the lovely options of hotels and have read many of the trip reports but I need to committ to our hotels / apartments so I can stop thinking about it and start packing! Suggestions on hotels with either family rooms or somewhat affordable enough to simply have 2 rooms close by one another would be greatly appreciated. The plan was to get a car and keep it the entire trip but I am seeing about 20euro a night for the parking so we might rethink how much car time we need. We love to explore new dining so I have been gathering up the list of everyones' fav tapa's etc. We want to experience a flamenco show again and were thinking to plan it for Dec 25 in Seville but are completely open to suggestions on that too.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. We just returned from Turkey for 10 days and I am still recovering from all that planning (that paid off as we had a fabulous visit there).
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM

It is getting a bit late for hotels so wise to hurry with reservations.

We did not stay in Malaga or Jerez so can't help there. We stayed at the Hotel Amadeus in Sevilla and at the Parador in Granada and loved both.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...villaHolyWeek#

We liked the <b>Las Casas de la Juderia</b> complex in Sevilla...Barrio Santa Cruz..we were there once for Holy Week. See pix herein. It's well located, the rooms are quite large and a buffet breakfast is top notch. Have fun on your December trip.

stu
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM

I've stayed at Hotel Don Curro in Málaga. For a single it was 74 euros. In Granada, we stayed at the Hotel Inglaterra, which was very nice and was centrally located, but I don't recall the price.

In Sevilla, we stayed at Casa de los Mercadores. It was also quite pleasant and not expensive, though I don't remember the prices. I also stayed at Hotel Zenit in Sevilla. I was there during Holy Week, so it was more expensive, but it's normally quide reasonable.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Seville has a wealth of apartment style accommodations that are quite central. Try booking.com - they display a lot of them or just search for Seville apartments.

You do not need or want a car in Granada or Seville. They are a huge and very stressful liability. Consider taking some public transport from Malaga to Granada and then on to Seville.

However, with 4 people, renting a car and parking it while in Granada and Seville might still turn out to be a cheaper option, even with the 20 Euro charge. We did this in Seville - just programmed in the hotel as a waypoint to an underground city parking lot on the outskirts of the old city, dropped off the bags for my SO to check in, and I continued to the parking garage and walked back in 15 minutes. The trip to the hotel through Seville's winding labyrinth was enough to dictate that we would walk back to the garage 3 days later to pick up the car. We could have easily taken a quick and cheap taxi back to it, too.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM

how nice to hear that you call my country,Turkey,fabulous
Having visited that region in Spain twice-in 2012 and 2010-I agree with you on not renting a car as we did all three cities on foot and by public transport.You can try www.movelia.es and www.alsa.es for online bus tickets.
In Jerez we stayed at Hotel Palacio Garvey and it was perfect(very central,extremely clean) but we didn't like the breakfast(tea,coffee,butter,jam,croissants).Hotel Tryp Jerez close to our hotel looked better.
In Sevilla I can recommend Hotel Alcazar,being clean,very close to the bus station (arrival from Granada and departure to Jerez) and also close to the main attractions.Breakfast was ok.
In Granada we stayed at Hotel Los Jeronimos but didn't like it.
As to Flamenco and other 'not to miss' attractions I will check my notes and write later.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the tips on hotels. Many of them have already been on my list so this morning after a cup of coffee, we will narrow down the list. I did pull up sevilla5.com for apartment bookings as even for three days, this is always a great option for us. Has anyone rented a short let in Granda or Jerez? Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 02:05 AM

All of your cities are great for flamenco.

I can recommend intimate Casa de la Memória in the midst of the Santa Cruz district in Sevilla. No food, no drinks, just flamenco from artists that also tour the greatest flamenco stages both in Spain and abroad. The venue is popular with tourists, but it's definitely the real deal and would give you an excellent introduction to the beauty of this art so important for Sevilla and Andalucía. Less than half the price of the traditional flamenco restaurants (some 15€) and sells out quikly. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Andalucia.html

Great about flamenco in Granada. A pity you're not there on a Thursday (for the performance at Peña la Platería): http://matadornetwork.com/nights/top...bs-in-granada/

Barrio de Santiago in Jerez is a true cradle of flamenco culture. Bar La Gitanería is as genuine as it gets and serves excellent tapas as well: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bar-Gi...47746635237714

And stay at least one night in wonderful Málaga city itself. Málaga is genuine Andalusian atmosphere, great cafés, tapas bars, restaurants, culture, theaters, nightlife and sights. Within 300 meters in the city center you'll find the newly excavated Roman theater, the 8-11th century Moorish Alcazaba, the 16th century cathedral, Picasso's birth-place and the Picasso museum and the brand new Carmen Thyssen Museum. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/home.htm

A couple of articles about Málaga, one of my absolute favourite cities in Spain:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...pleasures.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...el?INTCMP=SRCH

Would be a pity to stay ten minutes outside perhaps the most easy-going of all Andalucáin cities, and it's also just some 10-15 minutes and 20€ with taxi from the city center to the airport. Don Curro, as mentioned by Pegontheroad, is excellent and in the best location. If you want it more affordable, I can recommend next door Hostal Victoria: Basic but all amenities and great value. Some 45€ for a double in December: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/victoria.en.html
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Hi Travelingfam!

We stayed in Jerez over Semana Santa a few years ago and I would HIGHLY recommend La Fonda Barranco. We are also a family of four and stayed in the apartment. It is essentially on the top floor with a bedroom and two sofa like beds in the main room. These were not beds you pull out rather than make up- more like a day bed. Shower/wc were in the room along with a little pantry with fridge. There is a private terrace to the apt overlooking the cathedral top. The owner, a wonderful Irish man, delivers breakfast in the am. I can't remember but you perhaps can take breakfast in the dining area.
I looked at their web site and the price for apt during off key times is at 125€.

When we visited Jerez I felt it was a smaller city and it did not seem that there was a more desireable or prime area to stay in. This inn is definitely centrally located in the old part of town.

Would highly recommend getting tickets to the Royal Andalucia horse show. We did not have a car as parking is difficult anyway and walked from inn to the show. Hopefully they will be performing when you are there!

Happy travels!

Ps. I did a after the fact trip report with info on the other cities under my former name-cheapboxofwine. We did Madrid, Granada and Jerez on that particular trip. I had to change my name since I forgot my password and goofed up the log in.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Forgot to add that LaFonda Barranco is still rated the number one inn in Jerez!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM

I agree with 'kimhe',in Sevilla I recommend Casa de la Memoria as well.C/.Ximenez de Enciso,28 Barrio de Santa Cruz www.casadelamemoria.es (15 euros)
In Granada ask your hotel for the tour of Sacromonte and Albayzin at night. You are taken from your hotel at 21.30 and leave the minibus in Albayzin and you visit Albayzin on foot (with a tour guide speaking in your language) and then you go to the gypsy quarter called Sacromonte and watch the gypsy style flamenco show in a cave house called Cueva de la Rocio. www.cuevalarocio.com
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Great Info from everyone. We were in the same area about 8 years ago when the daughters were much younger. We all remember the wonderful Flamenco shows and look forward to returning to experience them again. Same with the Royal Andalucia - we somehow managed to get great seats among the masses of people crushing to get in. I have emails out to many of the wonderful hotels referred by everyone and will report in with the final list for others to use or comment on. In Granada the Hotel Reina Cristina has a great deal going right now - US (not euro!) 385 for a quad room with breakfast and tix to Alhambra. It has very nice reviews on TripAdvisor and the location seems convenient. Maybe...One down and two to go. An extra thanks to KIMHE and all the notes which have now been saved and to Box of Wine (shortened it!) for the additional info. Keep them coming!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM

I stayed in this Sevilla apartment in October of this year and I give it my very highest recommendations. It is a 2-bedroom duplex with two bathrooms and a fantastic kitchen. Outfitted to the highest standards. Perfect location just off Avnda de la Constucion, near the Cathedral.

I looked at the calendar and they have availability for your dates:

http://www.vrbo.com/282848

http://sevilla.spain-select.com/en_U...a-de-la-moneda