Granada In December

Search

Granada In December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granada In December

Hey, We are going to Granada in December. We only have a few days, where do you suggest we stay and do? Since we are on limited time I want to catch the important things. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Well, of course you should see the Alhambra. It's wonderful even in the dead of winter, although the Generalife (Hen er a lee fay) gardens are barren, they're also still interesting. I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of "Tales of the Alhambra" by Washington Irving. I think it gives a flavor of what it must have been like to live there in the time of the Moors.

I was there in January as well as in October. We definitely needed to get tickets ahead of time in October, but I'm not sure that it's necessary to do so in December. Wouldn't hurt to check though.

We also wandered around the Albyzin (spelling??). That was enjoyable too.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM

A few more ideas:
- Wander up the calles Caldereria Vieja/Caldereria Nueva and sample mint tea and pastries in one of the many Moroccan tea houses (teterias)
- Walk up to the Mirador de San Nicolas in the Albaicin for beautiful views of the Alhambra
- Have a drink at one of the many outdoor café tables on Paseo de los Tristes, for more amazing views of the Alhambra.
- Take an afternoon walk out to the Sacromonte area, famous for its troglodyte dwellings and gypsy residents (but avoid the tacky touristy flamenco shows).
- Visit the cathedral and its royal chapel (Capilla Real) where the Catholic Monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella, are buried.
- Spend an evening enjoying tapas, Granada style (in many of the tapas bars the tapas get better with each round of drinks that you order), and make sure to include a stop at the Antigua Bodega Castaneda on calle Elvira, just off Plaza Nueva.
- Head to the bar Eshavira at calle Postigo de la Cuna 2, just off calle Elvira, for great, authentic (late-night) flamenco and jazz concerts.
- Wander round the morning market around plaza Pescaderia (near the cathedral)
- Have churros con chocolate on Plaza Bib Rambla

Oh, and don't forget to bring a warm coat! It can be quite warm and sunny during the day, but winter evenings and early mornings are decidedly cold in Granada (due to the city's altitude).

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That info is very helpful. What about places to stay. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM

The first time I went I stayed alone at the Hotel Residencia Macia on the Plaza Nueva and the second time with my sister at the Hotel Inglaterra. I enjoyed and would recommend both, but I don't recall what either costs.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM

"...the tapas get better with each round of drinks that you order..."

Now THAT sounds like a great quest - to get the best tapas available!