Granada and the legendary Alhambra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link will take you to a photo-essay of my week in Granada. I could have stayed for another week, and another, and maybe another! I hope you find something useful...and/or enjoyable here. http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=247
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM

so could I, we only had three days there last year,
well done, nice pictures too, tks
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM

ClarePenn, great photo essay. My favorites were the clouds over Alhambra (El Greco-ish) and the beautiful wisteria.
Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Beautiful shots and charming narration. Really enjoyed it & your perpective!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
That brought back wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing. Ditto previous comments - great photos and narrative.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM

I really enjoyed your pics and your narrative. Your pics are much better than mine, by the way. I'm glad I lost that camera and then bought a digital.

I've been to Granada twice, and your pics and narration bring it all back. Great to experience it again through your thread.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for such generous words!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks for your report. Last summer we were in Antigua, this summer in Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, and Begur) so we've traveled some of the same roads recently. I look forward to our next trip!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM

ClarePenn, thanks for your report, I have enjoyed the reading and the photos. I want to add some coments: The graffitti is really a pest our authorities simply refuse to erradicate (I wish they had the same attitude towards collecting taxes, but no, at this they excel). It costs amounts of money to clean and paint, and after a few days is again covered with this rubbish. In private, religious, civil buildings, palaces, my mailbox, even the mirror! and it’s not student-related, but uneducated, gang, vandal related.
The Cathedral dragon slayer is probably St. George, one of the Archangels, thus his asexuated face with a (obviously) male body.
The “friends” oil painting is by Lopez Mezquita, a very good Granada painter (1883-1954), google for him.
Sorry for the Lions' fountain. Nothing as the real thing, but I can offer you this: http://www.jgonzalezbueno.com/galeri...es--72--x-.jpg
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Hey santamonica - I remember you from Antigua when I thought you might be from my home town. I was in Barcelona too for a wonderful week. I haven't posted that one yet but here it is if you'd like a look:
http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=246 I'm sure you'll have a Wonderful time.

josele! Thank you!! I loove the lion picture, and your site is cool too. And many many thanks for the information. I will update my narrative right now to include these excellent additions. I'm particularly interested to hear that the students are not responsible for the graffiti. I figured the tagging might be gang related (we have pleeenty of it here in LA) but that the more elaborate panels were by the students. I'm going to go take it back now. (btw Your taxes comment made me guffaw and slap my knee.)
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM

ClarePenn, Nice pictures. I'm going to Granada just for 2 days. One day for Alhambra. What highlights would you recommend for the 2nd day? Which hostel did you stay at? Thanks.Anna
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

OOPs aiacono! You're right, I didn't include the name of that place in the story (bad journalist!) and my memory fails. It was across the street from the Hospital San Juan de Dios if that helps, and I picked it because their single rooms at a single rate were well reviewed and not easy to come by.

As to your second day - you have to get into the Albaicin, that's the must do, and be prepared for some walking.

I don't know how you feel about guides but since your time is so limited maybe spending the day with someone who could walk you around discussing those things of interest to you (history, art, religious sites, current culture) would be a good deal. Maybe your guide could take you to a good flamenco show that would suit your taste too.

Don't forget those comfy walking shoes and you'll have a great time!