Gran Hotel Canarias Closed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We learned two days ago that the Gran Hotel Canarias in Madrid will be closing their doors effective today, 10 Jan. 08. No reason was given by the owners, the S&C Hotel Group. Hopefully another group will take it over. It was one of our favorites in Madrid.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM

What a shame!
I had pretty much decided to stay there next trip because of your favorable comments.

So which Madrid Hotel will be your new favorite Robert?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

That's a difficult one. We will be in Madrid later this month and had planned on spending at least a few nights at the Gran Canarias, but that's now out of the question.

Prices are up everywhere because of FITUR, the travel convention, but it will give us some time to check out a few new options, hopefully somewhere close to the Canarias because we like the area.

We did spend the night at the AC Recoletos in mid-July. It's nice, comfortable, and great when the price is right. We also like the Hermosilla for its location, comfort and value, but we'll sill have to take a look around to see what else is out there.

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Update on the closing of the Gran Canarias-it closed on Jan. 10, then was sold to another hotel group (don't know to whom).

Just passed by this week and talked to an employee manning the door for the workers. It is currently undergoing a month long minor renovation. I assume that it will keep its name, as the renovations do seem minor.

Those holding reservations for Feb. will be accommodated at the 4 star Vincci Soho, a couple of blocks away on Calle del Prado.

I was told that the hotel should reopen by early to mid March. Am very, very glad it didn't close for good! Now I don't have to look for a new favorite in the Barrio de las Letras.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM

Hi Maribel,

I went this morning to the Modigliani exhibition, and I saw that the Gran Hotel Canarias had already reopened.

It belongs now to the NH chain, and it is called Paseo del Prado. I didnīt have a look because we were on a hurry to make it to our 11:15 slot at the exhibition, but I can confirm that itīs up and running.

We had also intended to go to the new CaixaForum, but after visiting the whole Modigliani exhibition, we decided that there was a limit to the amount of art you can appreciate each day.

Here you have the URL :
http://www.nh-hoteles.es/nh/es/hotel...del-prado.html

Rgds, Cova
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

It appears that there are no more bargains to be had at the "new" NH Paseo del Prado. The average rates are about 70 euros/day more then what the GHC charged 6 months ago.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM

cova,
Thanks very much for the update. I was going to check on it when we arrive March 19, but I'm glad you were able to drop by to see it yourself. In early Feb. the doorman did tell me that it would reopen within a month-he was true to his word.

For anyone interested,
since it's been taken over by NH, there has been a *very* significant rate increase in rates, as Robert says.

Our last stay at the Gran Hotel Canarias cost €126,.42 (weekdays) including buffet breakfast (booked through Halcón Viajes).

The Gran Canarias was (lucky for us) underpriced, compared to its competitors in the immediate area.

When I checked rates at this new NH Paseo del Prado for 30/03-03/04, after Holy Week, I see tariffs for a double starting at 200 (weekend) going up to 260 (weekdays).

We're going to keep our reservation at the 5 star Derby Villa Real, just around the bend, at €144.

Again, thanks for the update.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM

HI Maribel, are you back?
Did you stay at the Villa Real? How was it overall?

ana maria
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Hi amsdon,
I'm writing you from our perfect little nest, room 22, at the Hospedería de Santo Domingo in Pedraza. We and our friends are the only guests tonight, it's so incredibly peaceful (and romantic!), there's a fire going in the fireplace, and the storks outside our window are sleeping, for now.

We had our usual roast lamb feast for lunch (have had lamb, almost every day, in all its guises in the past 10 days!). There are now 7 tables for 2 on the balcony at El Yantar on the square. But it's very quiet here after Holy Week.

Tomorrow we go to Sepúlveda for another lechazo at Figón Zute el Mayor ("Tinín&quot after a good long walk down to the Ermita de San Frutos at the Hoces del Duratón gorge. I've told our friends it's a mini Grand Canyon. Hope they like it.

Also on the agenda is a drive to see the castles at Turégano and Coca and the atmospheric "red towns" of Riaza and Ayllón.

Then dinner at Codex (they've added a pintxos bar). We must see their Codex's hotel as well at Gallegos, just south of here.

Then Sunday we go back to Madrid, so I'll report on our final 4 days there later.

I think about you and escrunchy every time I go out to our little balcony to watch the storks at play!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Wowowweee, estupendo!
Hospederia de Santo Domingo, I am so envious and so happy for you guys at the same time. I am also tasting the roast lamb in my imagination....how lovely.
YUM!

We were mesmerized by those storks. Did you see that house for sale (perhaps no longer) down by the Pedraza Castle? How about it Maribel? YOu can set us a B & B.

If you had Goya serve you at Yantar that is pretty much what I look like, almost her twin alhough she is about 15 years my junior so she may not have been too amused by my remarking that.

And PLEASE send regards to Juan Manuel at Codex (my e mail pal).
I love his place and
hope to return. I also told him about Mario Batali & Gweneth Paltrow's recent a tour in Spain & suggested that he call them to stop by. Why not?

Will look forward to hearing the rest of your tales, have a wonderful, serene and relaxing time. Enjoy the special treats we don't have here in California.. :'(

ana maria
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Maribel, are you still going to Les Musiciens du Louvre next Wednesday?

If you do, we could meet and have a drink at the Teatro Real. What do you think?

Rgds, Cova
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:05 PM

Hi cova,
Sorry about not responding sooner. I just now have computer access and free Wi Fi again.

I just bought our tickets for Wed. Yes, hubby and I would love to meet you for a drink before the concert at 8! It's about time...every time we're here, it seems that you're on vacation somewhere else, and we never coincide.

amsdon,
The stork hasn't had her babies yet. When she does, and they learn to fly, she'll move on, but she always comes back on Feb. 5...

More news about Pedraza later.

And for those wanting news about the ex Gran Canarias, now NH Paseo del Prado....
They're running a promo rate of 195 euros now. The brasserie is closed. It all feels more NH corporate and the staff has changed-doorman is gone, as is the desk staff. I miss the old Gran Canarias...
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM

Donīt worry.

what do you think of 7:15 to 7:30 at the main entrance, just at the front? Iīll be the one running like mad because I will be late.

Bye, Cova
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM

Hi Maribel,

Hope your trip is going great. Are you liking your stay at the Villa Real?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM

Hi cova,
I'm going to send you a personal email to reconfirm (we can check responses on our blackberry), but we'll meet you between 7:15 and 7:30 tonight at the main entrance.

See you then.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:54 AM

Maribel, I donīt usually check that hotmail address.

Try it with (take away the spaces)

covadonga at web dot de

Iīll be able to check it in my mobile phone.

Bye, Cova