Gracejoan?

Jul 24th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Gracejoan?

I realize gracejoan was hounded by another poster some time ago...but I miss her posts that have been so helpful to me. Her reports from Paris have served me well for many years and for ten or so trips. Does anyone know if she is posting elsewhere? Thank you...Victoria Ratcliff
Jul 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Bingo, you've hit a major shortcoming on the part of Fodor editors. NO ONE should be able to get away with that kind of hounding, without being barred for life...immdiately.

I loved Grace Joan's affable manner and her impeccable knowledge. Didn't Grace move to the south of France near the Pyrenee foothills several years back?

C'mon editors...get tough..you're losing control.
Jul 24th, 2015, 01:11 PM

>>Bingo, you've hit a major shortcoming on the part of Fodor editors. NO ONE should be able to get away with that kind of hounding, without being barred for life…immdiately.<<

>>C'mon editors...get tough..you're losing control.<<

The person was nuked -- under at least 2 different screen names a few months apart. His/her last incarnation has been gone since right before gracejoan quit posting.
Jul 24th, 2015, 01:21 PM

Gracejoan is not living in France; perhaps you're thinking of another poster who moved from the U.S. to the Dordogne. She posts on tripadvisor.com.
Jul 24th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Grace Joan posts her reports to a private group of admirers now in order to avoid all controversy. I'm sure that if one of the group vouches for you, you can be added to the list of people who receive her adventures.

I think Fodor's has been very effective in getting rid of the major offender, who has now turned her/his attention on me and has been spamming Trip Advisor with defamatory attacks since it was no longer possible to post them here.
Jul 24th, 2015, 02:13 PM

That's rather poetic, kerouac.
Jul 24th, 2015, 02:25 PM

St Cirq now lives happily in the Dordogne.
Anyone who objected to Grace Joan for her restaurants and photos. Haven't you learned to ignore What you dislike?
And Keruac, you have always putting down others who go to high priced restaurants. I envy those who travel often to Paris and enjoy good food
Jul 24th, 2015, 02:46 PM

>>Anyone who objected to Grace Joan for her restaurants and photos. Haven't you learned to ignore What you dislike?<<

Huh? Not sure that makes sense in the context of this thread - are you saying the pill who kept spamming gracejoan's threads . . . we should have just ignored? No -- s/he was triangled and sent packing.
Jul 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM

that is not what I was saying, don't twist words.
Jul 24th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Jj: kerouac never missed an opportunity to post on GJ's threads making it known how little he thought of them. (Odd, I know.) It was he who did not ignore the threads he didn't find edifying.

Signed,

Admirer of GJ
Jul 24th, 2015, 03:18 PM

"Banned for life" is an interesting concept but how could it possibly be enforced? All it takes to register is a valid email address, which are a dime a dozen.

Of course a comeback poster won't have lounge access, but that's not necessary to troll away.
Jul 24th, 2015, 03:22 PM

janisj you were the one who was sent packing as I remember.
Jul 24th, 2015, 09:01 PM

I merely pointed out to gracejoan from time to time that making five posts about how proud she was to have made reservations at certain restaurants was perhaps not as thrilling to readers as her actual meals, which have a major fanbase for the photos.
Jul 24th, 2015, 11:54 PM

I agree with kerouac - when gracejoan actually reported on something she did, ate, saw...it was interesting to the people who enjoy that sort of thing. It can be nice to see how the other half lives, especially to those of us who are in the lower 99%.

The problem was that she morphed into some kind of Interplanetary Rock Star, and plowing through the minutiae of her daily life became extremely tedious. I mean really - all that noise about getting a reservation???

I'm really glad that she has her own private fan club, though. I think that she deserves all the attention she can handle, just not on a public travel forum.

That troll is really creepy - and I'm glad he/she was triangled. But frankly, when you put your personal life on display to the extent that gracejoan did, you have to expect this sort of thing. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that she seemed to expect preferential treatment from Fodor's - kerouac has been the victim of trolls, too.
Jul 25th, 2015, 01:48 AM

+1 for manouche

I've seen the fan club e-mails and am proud to say that I'm not a fan.

Especially the drivel she posted right after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, going on and on about her super-special lunches with "so and so" as if nothing had happened in Paris.
Jul 25th, 2015, 02:06 AM

+1 F1
(but don't push me on Charlie, that was the root cause of my getting banned - for life - from TA ! I couldn't stop posting how stupid they were to remove all threads about Charlie).

I've not known GJ - was not yet on Fodors then, looked up the first thread I found.

I can understand she got a fanclub but can't fathom why someone would be wanting to join it.
It looks like Louis XIV and 'la cour' - the highness says something and the cour bows and flatters.
Jul 25th, 2015, 02:14 AM

I wish GJ the best; but I admit to having been underwhelmed with her posts.
Jul 25th, 2015, 04:45 AM

I liked her pictures but not my style of eating. I think my favorite luxury poster is Denisea. She loves to shop, eat butter, cheese and drink champagne and has the best pictures. We budget eat for a bigger bar tab. Give me a sidewalk cafe, drinks and a few nibbles and I am happy. Everyone has different styles of travel.
Jul 25th, 2015, 06:34 AM

I would like to think that there is room in my life to emulate the styles of both GJ and Kerouac from time to time.

Mostly I like my own style, like everyone else here I suspect.
Jul 25th, 2015, 06:41 AM

annhig, my sentiments exactly. Some people like to move around every night, some like to stay put, some love Dublin, some hate Rome some like to eat five or six course dinners, others street food. My first day I hit the ground running, a cup of coffee and I am good, some have jet lag so bad they just want bed. I can sleep when I get home. I have posted more on TA as of late. Nicer people and more info, less judgmental when you ask a question or show enthusiasm for something you like and want to see or do.

Search this Thread