GPS recommended in Puglia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are off to Italy in about 10 days. We will pick up a car at FCO and drive to Trani. We will be staying in Trani, Polignano di Mare, Lecce and Matera. We plan to spend about three nights in each place and explore the areas around each of the locations. We have driven in Italy before and have a good regional Michelin map. Do you recommend a GPS? Flame123, what do you think? Skedoo? Anyone else who has explored this area by car?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I've explored quite a bit down in the Campania/Basilicata/Puglia area without GPS (and we really have no sense of direction!!)

The roads in the south are great and everythihng is well marked...once you get used to it - i.e. forget about any kind of "north" or "south" or even really road names...you need to just look at your map and be fammiliar with the towns in your area and follow the signs towards the next town you're heading towrds...so...you may be heading one place...but need to know the towns along the way to follow the signs I also always print out viamichelin directions before I go to all the main towns and sights I want to see so I have the printed directions to follow along with the map. (I'm sure GPS is good too...we just tend to do it the old fashioned way)
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Hi Marta,

I agree with CasaDelCipresso. We traveled in Puglia, as well as other areas in Italy, without GPS. Never was any problem. The only time we got seriously got lost and had no idea what to do, we ended up in a gas station with a really friendly guy who took us (follow my motorcycle!!) to where we needed to go. Other times we "got lost" were the best times of our vacation. Unexpected pleasures. You will be fine without one.

P.S. We decided to nix the idea at the rental car agency when they told us the GPS was not insured, i.e. if it was stolen, etc. we were out about $700. No thanks.

Have a fabulous time. Can't wait to read your trip report and reviews.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Hi

I have not explored Puglia but I did drive in Italy last year and it was a great help to have a GPS. Getting out of Florence was for example quite easy when the GPS was leading the way

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I've driven in Italy without a GPS and survived. It was actually fun to stop regularly and ask directions in my limited Italian.

Next time I'll get a GPS. Since road signs and addresses are virtually non existent. A GPS will save you hours getting around so you will have more time to spend on the things you want to see.

Maps have road numbers but the signs don't. Nor do they say North or South. Instead they have an arrow that says this way to Bascaglia. In the car you're asking, "Do we want to go toward Bascaglia?" and you're past the road before anyone can find Bascaglia on the map.

The signs seem to pick random towns along the road. If you don't know every town along the road you want before and after your destination, you will probably miss your road.

Alternatively, you can stop at every crossroad and take some time to decide if that's the one you want.

Even if you know where you want to turn, exits off the Autostrada seem to head West, then swing back around so you're headed East. You then have to drive to an exit, pay your toll, swing around to an onramp on the other side, take a ticket and start going the right direction. Each time this costs you about 15 to 20 minutes because exits are really spread out.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

Hi Marta,

We have just returned from Italy and drove 3,6ookm in a month, including Puglia & Calabria. We had a GPS and it was invaluable. We stayed in Martina Franca in Puglia, which has terrible traffic conditions, but we were guided without a problem to our hotel. We also drove to Locorotundo, Alberobello and Ostuni, before heading on to Calabria.I had a TCI map as a backup, but the GPS was excellent.
Cheers, Ozlinz
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM

We had driven in Italy before without GPS and did fine but my husband insisted we take it along. Boy, were we both glad we had it. If you have access to GPS I'd recommend using it.