Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Governo Vecchio apartment, Rome - Has anyone stayed here????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Governo Vecchio apartment that is listed with Sleep in Italy?

https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...d_appartam=345

From the listed photos it is hard to see what the 2nd bedroom is like as it is a loft situation. Does it have a window, what is the access like etc? A personal perspective of someone that has rented this apartment would be good.

If anyone can point me towards more website photos of apartment that would be great.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Debbie,

I've not stayed in this apartment, but I can second the comments in the reviews about the area, which could hardly be better.

have you tried looking for reviews of this apartment on slow travel? - they have lots of apartment reviews there.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Not in that apartment but I did rent from Sleepinitaly and stayed in that area. Thumbs up to both. It looks very good. A lift is a big plus. I was on the 5th floor with no lift.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 01:55 AM

I believe this is the apartment kren had just stayed in but I don't know if a trip report has been posted.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 01:58 AM

Sorry...the name should be Kwren. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-213960-2.cfm
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Hi all - I just saw this post and although it is very late to respond, I will add what I just worte to someone about this apartment in case anyone else is doing a search. Feel free to ask questions if you are considering this apt...

We were very happy with this apartment. We had enough room and it was in a great location, on a (mostly) pedestrian street near the Piazza Navona, the cat sanctuary, Piazza Campo di Fiori and the market, lots of busses a very short walk away and a maze of tiny streets. Lots of gelato in the area too.

The beds were comfortable, the refrigerator very tiny, the kitchen well-equipped, the living room spacious with a few mostly used up bottles of alcohol (which we felt uneasy drinking so they might still be there) and there was plenty of hot water although if I remember correctly, there may have been some bursts of cold water. The laundry room "dryer" was a drying rack, but the tiny washer worked great and there was even laundry detergent when we were there. (That's not a guarantee I think) Paper towels were provided, but no toilet paper except a tiny bit so be prepared! I think it depends on what the previous people leave behind. The elevator worked fine, and was cute and tiny as many older European elevators are. There is a food store on the same street, a cafe just across the street, and plenty of restaurants everywhere surrounding the apt. I can't recommend the area more highly. We've rented other places before and the owners left us wine or flowers and a welcome note, but don't expect anything like that here. No problem, but it's funny what you take for granted!

There was one downside (well 2 actually) and that was that the guy meeting us to let us in was very late so be sure you take ALL the phone numbers you are given just in case you need to call as we did. It wasn't all bad - we waited and ate at that cafe across the street, surrounded by our suitcases. We just kept ordering more and more - the waiters were becoming very entertained by us! The second downside was checkout - that same guy from Sleep in Italy never showed up AT ALL to get the keys and give us our deposit check back which was very nerve racking. He and Sleep in Italy had lots of excuses for both times - claimed miscommunication, but I went back and checked on all our emails and saw how clearly I had worded everything, and the responses back from Sleep in Italy confirming all meeting times and places. There was no mistake or miscommunication and I confirm and confirm and confirm on something like this so we had multiple emails each way! There was no miscommunication either arrival or departure. Upon our arrival, I ended up contacting the apartment owners to find him for us and they were as nice as could be. Sleep in Italy wasn't very apologetic at all about the whole thing in the end, and claimed that they ripped up our check, but I put a stop on it just in case. On a positive note, the check was never cashed and there was no additional problem. I would recommend setting up the check out the night before departure, maybe when you are packing, so you aren't delayed the day you leave. When we left, we just left the keys on the table and that was not a problem for Sleep in Italy.

Would I stay there again? Yes! - the apartment had everything we wanted and it all worked well. The AC was great, although if you had all the units on at once, the circuit breaker would blow so we came up with a rotation to keep it all cool. That wasn't a major problem for us. Be prepared to wait at the cafe just in case and don't make plans for just after your arrival. Take all the phone numbers and if someone doesn't arrive close to the arranged time, make the call sooner rather than later if you don't want a long wait. Don't give him an hour like we did to call because it then took him more than another hour to show up! Then have some vino at the cafe - you're in Rome after all and the guy will eventually show up!!! He didn't ruin our time there and it's just another story we can tell. All's well that ends well!