Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Got my train ticket -warsaw to Krakow .Now I need help

Apr 1st, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

OK, I finally figured out the web site and ordered and paid for my ticket from Warsaw to Krakow.
I decided to go first class and the ticket I printed says coach 4 .
My question will that be written somewhere on the outside of train or how do I find which coach to board? Does my luggage go in the coach with me? Does anyone know in Warsaw are there many stairs to get to platform for train?
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Apr 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM
ira

HI L,

Each coach has a number.

There might also be a sign board at the platform showing the makeup of the train and where each car is located.

You take your luggage onto the train with you.

I would be prepared to have to go down one flight and up one flight to get to the platform.

Hope this helps.

Apr 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira.
Your help is always welcomed.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM

Second class coaches are one color and first class another. Each is emblazoned with a number 2 or 1. The car number is also posted. Ask a guard on the platform (peron)where the first class car will be...show him/her your ticket and mime a question. There are steps from the main hall to the upper platform. Information as to where your train will be is posted above the steps. Escalators will take you down to your platform. Bury your valuables. Pickpockets operate in gangs of three...they like to sandwich a mark just after he/she has boarded the car. Polish Rail is making efforts to make rail traffic safe. Did you get a seat reservation? If not you will have to find an empty seat. Usually there is plenty of space for your baggage.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
ira

Enjoy your trip. L
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM

where did you purchase this ticket and how much did it cost? i'll be making this same trip...how long of a train ride are we talking?
Apr 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Complete Polish Train Information! Page 365 and 366 in, 1st Ed. Fodor's POLAND. I assume the Fodor's editors have 'winnowed' the regular postings to achieve their results.
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

lyban,

I made the Warsaw to Krakw trip two years ago, but almost missed the train because the station and platforms are not well posted. Be about 10 minutes early on the platform and ask a conductor about your train. He/she will probably not be fluent in English so show him/her your ticket and reservation. One will direct you to your car. Then find your seat if you have a seat reservation. If you don't have a reservation I recommend that you get one. I'm glad I did because the train was packed. Compared to trains in other countries it is difficult to move from car to car. The aisles are full of people talking. If you don't have a seat reservation you might have to stand.

For an intro to train travel in Europe I recommend the site http://tinyurl.com/eym5b. It is illustrated with photos showing just about everything you need to know.

BTW, you carry or roll your own luggage. I can't remember any problem with stairs, but I pack light.