Gorges du Verdon info

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Gorges du Verdon info

How far is Gorges du Verdon from St. Remy and is it worth seeing.
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Do a search on "Gorges du Verdon" & you'll get lots of opinions.

Mine.....If you have visited the US Grand Canyon, or the Gorges du Tarn in France, or you'll be in St Remy for 4 days or less - NO.

A visit to Moustiers, the Valensole plane in late June/early July to see the lavender fields, and Gorges du Verdun would be a nice day trip if you'll be in Provence for more than 4 days & have not visited the above gorges.

Stu Dudley

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

... and in Moustiers, check out La Bastide de Moustiers for lodging and/or dinner. The best cheese course on the planet!

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM

IMHO, I think it is. This will tell you all about it.

http://www.beyond.fr/sites/verdon.html
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Expert, we stayed there a few days. The bath products are wonderful!
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM

We enjoyed staying in Moustiers for a few nights and driving around the gorge--most dramatic. There are several nice walks in the area, but not a lot of activy other than the outdoor options, which are lovely.
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

cigalechante - I love your name... do you know the song by Francis Poulenc from "Le Bestiaire?"

I bought some of the little hand soaps while we were there (green, shaped like a leaf) - two left... have to order more (vetiver scent)!

Apr 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Expert, yes also known as Cortage D'Orphee but that is a Sauterelle, French for Grasshopper. I'm a cigale, French for Cicada, that sings all day under the hot Provençal sun
I emailed the boutique to order more of the Bain Balsamique. The scent is thyme and Rosemary.
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM

In 2005 we spent 2 nights in St. Remy, then 2 in Gordes, then drove to Moustiers and stayed at Bastide Moustiers. Heavenly, but expensive. Some here find it over-priced. Hey, we spent one night and had a LONG dinner one night, so it was memorable. I'm currently using one of the little green soaps! What I liked was that our large bathroom was full of antiques and they weren't chained down like hotels in USA sometimes nail their pictures and lamps down.

The Gorge -- OK, for scenery, nothing compares to the Grand Canyon. It was an interesting road. We took it not for the sightseeing, but as a route (de Napoleon) to St. Paul de Vence where we were staying the next night. It was interesting seeing the architecture turn a 'bit' more Swiss looking as we drove north. It is a road to be careful on. It's something I would do once, but have no need to go back to. If you weren't going ON, I would say go to Moustiers, then drive out far enough to see the lake and the gorge, then turn around.
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

"Les cigales, les cigalons chante mieux - que les violons." (sp?)

Apr 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Actually, I have seen both the Grand Canyon and the Gorges du Verdon, and I think they are both interesting. Bigger does not necessarily make a canyon better.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:53 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

I agree, Kerouac. In fact, the one that really took my breath away was the Copper Canyon in Mexico!