Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gordes, Oppede, Venasque, Saignon, Vaison la Romaine or Eyragues?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Kim

We have found several places that look wonderful to stay - but I don't have a sense of the activity level of the villages. We want something quaint, with a little acitivity - shops, restuarants, cafes, etc., or at least that very nearby. We don't want to do alot of driving at night. <BR><BR>If anyone has stayed in these villages or hotels, would like your opinion.<BR><BR>Saignon - Auberge Presbytere<BR>Venasque - Auberge de la Fontaine<BR>Gordes - La Gochelle<BR>Oppede - La Mourre<BR>Eyragues - Domaine de Bournissac (says 5 min from St. Remy)<BR>Vaison La Romaine - L'Eveche<BR><BR>We wanted something either self-catering where we could cook in, something with a restaurant that was close to town in an active village, or something where we could walk, drive a few miles to eat out.<BR><BR>I am leaning toward Eyragues, as the place is gorgeous, and 5 minutes is not a far drive. Is parking a problem in St. Remy?

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Sue

All thoses towns are quaint, some activity,cafes,etc.; you can't go wrong with any. Just go and have a good time.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Patrick

I have only been to St. Remy once and it was market day. We stopped at the tourist office (which couldn't answer any of our basic questions, they only wanted to get us a hotel room which we didn't need) and parked our car to take a bus to Les Baux (as we were planning on hiking back from there -- that's why we left our car). It took ages to find a place to park. We had to ask a policeman who finally directed us to a lot near a school. It was a long walk back to the bus stop. Maybe on non-market days it wouldn't be so bad, but we couldn't even find a place to temporarily park to get some info at the tourist office. One of us had to keep driving around while the other went inside.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Anthony

Kim,<BR><BR>Parking on Wednesday, market day in St. Remy, is always rough. True for any village on its market day.<BR><BR>We stay in St. Remy every year at a small hotel, L'Amandiere, about a half mile from town. The hotel provides breakfast only. Rooms are small, immaculate. Nice garden around the hotel. Cost is modest.<BR><BR>The town has many interesting little restaurants, among them are Gousse D'Ail, La Source. Nice shops, etc.<BR><BR>We leave our car at the hotel and walk in to town. I am not so sure about this time in the year, however, as some of these places do close for the winter.<BR><BR>A wonderful time to stay in St. Remy is when the lavender blooms in late June and early July. You could journey out the Abbey Senanque and in to the verdant mountains to experience great scenery, etc.<BR><BR>This past July, we went to a restaurant, attached to an auberge, named "La Maison", It was in Eyragues or a village with a very similar name near Noves and St. Remy. Dont miss this place.<BR><BR>Bonne chance!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Christina

I haven't stayed in any of those places, but have been through several and just would comment that Venasque is a beautiful little village, high on a hill, but it is very small and cars are not even allowed to drive in it (except residents). I don't recall restaurants there, I think it's too small (pop. of less than 1000). Vaison la Romaine seems a lot bigger than it is, to me, maybe due to the tourists. There is lots going on there and plenty of restaurants, but I found parking difficult near center city on a regular weekday. (I looked up the population and it's only 6K but I would have guessed 25K due to the activity, streets, etc.) It was a nice town, though, but lots of tourists are there and parking may be tricky. It's not really that central to what a lot of people want to tour in Provence, either. Gordes is certainly very active and has lots of shops and restaurants; most accommodations are outside town, it seemed to me, although there are parking lots that are pretty convenient to the town (I think maybe you can't drive into Gordes, either).

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
mimi taylor

Kim, the Presbytere in Saignon is very nice, the owner and his dog, charming, you will have the terrace right next to the village fountain and across the street, the ancient stone wash house. Vaison is enormous. In the old section, high up is the beautiful Belfrai, (not sure of the spelling) with a dining spot overlooking the town. Godes and oppede, we have visited a few times but to crowded for us. Anthony mention the restaurant la maison, well, lucky you, that is part of Domaine de Bournissac. The hotel is beautiful, they serve these bowls with a cigale design, as I collect cigales, I'd love to find one. The vilage is Mont d'Eyraques near Paluds-de-Noves. Let us know what you finaaly chose.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:23 AM
mimi taylor

TO the Spelling Police: I KNOW&lt; I KNOW!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Julie

We stayed in Gordes at Les Romarins. It's more like a house than a hotel and has lovely views back toward the town. While there we went for dinner to La Gacholles. It's very nice. Recently decorated in a modern "Italain Style" sort of way with modern wrought iron "sofa" in front of fireplace, etc. Has lovely dining room and porch where you can dine outside in nice weather and look down the hill over surrounding countryside. It's a few (no more than 5) miles outside of Gordes. Gordes itself was a lovely village. Has a couple of nice restaurants (Comptoir au Victuellier with wonderful daube was our favorite) and a market on Tuesday, also a nice old castle and stone houses with stone fences and great views of surrounding countryside. It was one of my favorite places in Provence. I'd go there again in a heartbeat. Toughest problem would be deciding whether to stay again at Les Romarins which is walking distance to main part of town or at La Gacholle which has a more exciting decor but requires a drive into town.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Judy

I stayed at Le Beffroi in Vaison for 1 week last Fall,and enjoyed it very much. There are quite a few good restaurants in the town and nearby Seguret, and many Roman ruins to visit. Many old villages around make good hiking routes.