Good time-out town

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Tina

Good time-out town

Can anyone recommend a good time-out town between Florence and Rome, hopefully on the main train line? I've got an extra day to kill, and it might be nice to take a breather between the big city stops.

Any suggestions?

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Bob

Arrezzo or Orvieto come to mind. But by time out, do you mean that you want to relax and not see any sights? or see some sights but just do less walking? Both of these cities can be seen without too much walking and they're on the main train line.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Betsy

Siena, Perugia, Orvieto.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:33 PM
StCirq

Orvieto would be my choice...but only because it's the only place I''ve had the chance to stop on such a trip as yours.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Dawn

Assisi, a beautiful, ethereal town. Try and see the church below the city of Assisi in the town of Santa Maria Deangeli

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:15 PM
joe

Orvieto is right on the main train line north from Rome.It is a hill town and the train station is at the bottom of the hill. A short taxi or bus ride takes you to the center in minutes.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:17 PM
dayle

Haven't been to Assisi, but would also highly recommend Orvieto. Super easy to access via train and a beautiful and amazing town. Facinating Etruscan caves underneath the town, tours twice a day. Etruscan tombs just outside city walls. Duomo is awesome. Wonderful juxtaposition of a modern, prosperous town in an ancient covering. They even have a cyber cafe. Orvieto Classico - great fruity, white wine. Outstanding restaurants - many in caves beneath the town. Lots of interesting artists. Not very touristy - a favorite Roman weekend getaway place. Civita di Bagnoregio nearby NOT to be missed! We stayed in Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini for 3 nights - a 4 star for under $100US/night. Buono viaggio!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Tina

Thanks everyone! Orvieto sounds like just what we need. I appreciate all the help!