How to get from CDG to my hotel

Mar 29th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Maureen

How to get from CDG to my hotel

I am arrivingin Paris from Madrid on Saturday April 7th. This is my first trip to Paris. What is the best way to get from CDG airport to my hotel ( Sully St. Germain. Is the bus, train or taxi my best bet? We arrive in the early evening.

Thanks,

Maureen

Mar 29th, 2001, 08:37 PM
jim

Primary option: TAXI
As this is your first trip to Paris, you may get confused using other options. As there is more than one of y'all, the price differential (to other options) is smaller. Taxi will be around 260-300FF (less than $50). You need to sit back and enjoy the view.

Mar 30th, 2001, 03:09 AM
lesley

Without knowing where in Paris your hotel is, it is difficult to be specific, but getting into Paris from CDG is not as straight forward as in most other big cities. For example, you need to get a bus (free) even to get to the metro station. The airport is not easy to find your way around, so providing money is not an object, I would go with Jim and suggest, that for at least the journey in to Paris, you take a taxi.

Mar 30th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I don't disagree with the two posts above for a first-time visitor, but for the good of the order, I herewith provide the following from my travel journal....

Name: Getting into Paris from Charles de Gaulle Airport

Description: Taxis are convenient and not OVERLY expensive if you have several people and baggage to deal with. Expect to pay anywhere from $35-$50 (250-400 FF) to get from the airport to your Paris hotel, depending on traffic, destination and other variables. Several lower cost alternatives exist, but you should be thinking about them when you pack.

For less than $10 (65 FF), the Air France bus will take to you to any of several points in downtown Paris where you can pick up a taxi, the metro (or if you're lucky, nothing but your feet) to get to your final destination. You can pick up this bus right outside the terminal at the first door, as you exit customs. Another option is the KLM bus, which costs around $13 (90 FF) but will drop you off directly at your hotel. You can pick up this bus outside of Gate 26 in Terminal 1.

A very low cost, efficient alternative is to take the RER Line B3, for around $7 (49 FF). You can grab the free ADP shuttle from the lower level of Terminal 1, get over to Terminal 2, where the RER station is located. The RER doesn't get stuck in traffic and conveniently links right into the Paris Metro system. That said, remember not to bring along things that will kill you on the stairs if this is to be your choice. You simply don't want more than you can conveniently and securely control. (The dollar conversions I've made here are roughly based on approximately a 7-1 ratio of French Francs/U.S. Dollars).

A final, very inexpensive option to the airport from the Nation metro/RER station is the 351 bus, which stops right out in front of the Quick restaurant on the Nation circle, just a door or two down from Le Dalou brasserie. This works well from the Nation-area hotels I've suggested in this journal and buses depart 3-4 times per hour. Be sure to allow extra time to get to the airport, since check-ins tend to be rather arduous affairs. I generally arrive 3 hours before flight time and some airlines now require 2-1/2. Best Terminal 1 place to eat: Les Palmes, downstairs -- but they don't open for breakfast.

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Fred

Maureen-
Be smart - take a taxi. For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Fred

P.S. - Just be sure they're the taxis with "Taxi Parisien" sign on the roof. Walk outside the terminal - the taxi line will be right there.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Bob Brown

I used a van service twice from CDG to my hotel. I reserved in the States, and paid by credit card. (Cash is an option.) When I landed, I called the toll free number, got directions where to go, collected my luggage, and went to the door to meet the van. It showed up soon enough and off we went. One drawback is that you share the ride, so you might be the last one dropped off. The first time, I got a good view of Paris while we rode.