Good Sources for Italian Food and Wine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am going to Rome, Italy shortly and would like to buy some good balsamic vinegars, cheese and wine to bring home. Can anyone tell me of any good web sites or books that could advise me on what to look for and buy? Thanks.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:27 PM
rex

I don't think that any website can really prepare you for the unbelievable smorgasbord of good things to eat and drink (and bring home).

I'll just single out one of your questions - - and suggest Buccone on via di Ripetta (near Pzza del Popolo). While there are undoubtedly other good enoteca (wine shop, but really, so much more) choices in Rome, this one remains a special memory for me. Plan to spend a few hours; start with (some of) the 6-12 bottles they have open for tasting, and then go out on a limb and buy one or two for tasting there (based on the shopowner making recommendations, based on what you liked most of what is already opened) - - with a few bottles to take home of what you like best.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Hi
Depending on where you are flying home to and if it's a hub, some states (Georgia comes to mind, if you're flying home to Atlanta) don't permit
anyone to bring wine in from anywhere, even within the US.
So, if you're planning to ship, or cart it home, look into possible regulatory issues.

Do remember that items in glass bottles weigh a lot and of course are fragile, so don't pack them in checked luggage, even if you think your layers of clothes will be cushion enough. They might not be. I speak from messy experience.

Amazon has wine guide books that can advise about Italian wines. Also check the winespectator website.

Don't mean to sound discouraging, just cautious. Enjoy your browsing and tasting.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:02 AM
dumas1870

When did this start? Is this a federal or state policy? Did you get burned?

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:00 AM
ira

Hi dumas,

The feds don't care if you bring in wine or spirits for your own consumption as long as you pay the duty, about 10%.

Some states, GA is one, are very strict about bringing in alcohol, but it is unlikely that you will be bothered.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM
rex

With the exception of Prohibition, I guess, the "importation" of alcohol has always (?) been under the jurisdiction of state Alcoholic Beverage Commisssions, not the Federal government. I don't understand for sure why there is a Federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

In any case, I dopn't think there is anything new in the past halef century about states regulating the crossing of state lines, bringing alcoholic beverages with you.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I am going to bring this old post to the top to ask this question.

We will probably be flying into Atlanta from Rome, and we do want to bring some wine and cheese home with us. One of the posters indicated that Georgia does not allow anyone to bring wine into the state.

I could probably discreetly pack the cheese (vacuum packed, of course), but how should I handle the wine? 4-6 bottles would probably be the max.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:49 AM
rex

You may have legal options that were introduced into law in 2000. See http://www.wineinstitute.org/shipwin...rgia_h1273.htm - - apparently you CAN ship wine from another state (or country) if it was purchased ON PREMISES, up to five cases.

I have already said too much on "less legal" options which are tantamount to promoting smuggling. See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34422344