Good restaurant near fiumicino / rome airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, we are staying our last night at the hilton hotel attached to leonardo da vinci airport in fiumicino rome (have to be at the airport at 4:30am so the few extra bucks for the hilton was well worth it). we will not have a rental car and I was wondering if anyone can tell us about a good restaurant that is REALLY close by the airport, that we can take a cheap taxi to get there? Also, what do you usually do when you take a taxi to a restaurant? Do you just have them come back at a certain time? Or do you just place another taxi call when you are finished? We have often eaten at a small place called Trattoria Roma near the Sidis store, but for the life of me I can't find the business card and I don't remember where it is. The last few years we've checked into the hilton and walked over to the airport and had dinner at the Autogrill (yuck), just to save money. The hilton only has one offer for dinner and it's 35 Euros per person for buffet slop. We'd like our last night to be special and we are dreadfully tired of the Autogrill, so if anyone can lend some advice, we'd greatly appreciate it.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We ate in the bar area (not restaurant) of Hilton. We had a really good late night meal of ricotta and basil ravioli with julienne zucchini. We, too, stayed away from the buffet (unfortunately we went the next morning for breakfast....way overpriced).

I'd check out the bar menu. The choices were limited, but the food and martinis were, if not great, certainly very good.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Now that I've been reading a bit more on the site, I'm wondering if we should try to get into the hilton airport early and take the leonardo express into rome. Now that dumps us off at the train station termini, but it's about 3 miles from the tourist center. We havent' been to rome in years, we always skip it because it's such a tourist nightmare. But I wonder if it might be fun to pop in there for dinner and a passeggiata. Or I wonder if it will be a lot of bother for just a meal. last year we ended up at the hilton airport around 3pm and had nothing to do the rest of the day and night with no car, it was a total buzz kill. I guess I'd like to try to fill that void with something fun but not too stressful since we leave in the morning and will likely be exhausted from that days travel (flying in from catania is always a big production). Any thoughts on how express the leonardo express really is? Is it worth the bother?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM

The Leonardo Express takes 31 or 32 minutes, coming or going. It arrives at Roma Termini at a track that is a good 15 minute walk from the taxi stand in front of the station.

And the last Leonardo Express leaves Termini for Fiumicino at 22:52. From what I can see, there is no multi-stop train to Fiumicino after 22:52 either.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, thanks for the precise answer! So what is the best way to get into the centro storico? Walk the 15 min to the taxi stand and take one? Do you have any idea what it would cost? Hard to believe but I've never taken a taxi once and I've been to Italy 8 times. I guess we've always walked everywhere. In your opinion is it a walkable distance? I guaged it was about 3 miles to Piazza Navona from the station but I have no idea whether it's a nice route or if it's through a sketchy neighborhood. I know Rome has so many "pockets" strewn about the city, good here, next block not so good there, etc. I'm just wondering if it would be too exhausting. Do you know of any good restaurants around the station? Something authentic? Has anyone eaten at Agata e Romeo near the station?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM

I've eaten at Agata e Romeo and enjoyed it very much. It is a bit formal; men should wear jackets. If you decide not go into Rome for dinner, I highly recommend Ristorante Al Molo in the town of Fiumicino. Wonderful seafood and there is a beautiful terrace overlooking the Mediterranean.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM

The New York Times recently did an article about the beach town of Fregene, and you should chack that out as fun possibility. It's only about 15 minutes or so from the airport.

Likewise, think about going to Ostia Antica. I'll be some internet searches and inquiries would turn up restaurant recommendations.

I'd especially think it fun to go to the beach and eat seaside if you're going in hot weather.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I just pulled up the article. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it will be mid November, and many sea-side towns shut down after October. I will still do the research, I love finding a new town! Thanks!