Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

good or bad neighborhood in Rome question....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In our search for a one week Rome apartment rental we're exploring various neighborhoods to find something suitable in a nice, safe area. There is one available described as "located in a prestige building at the top of Via Cavour, just close to Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore" (no exact address given except it is on Via Cavour.

Is this a nice neighborhood? It's south (less than 1/2 mile) of the Central train station which may not be a good area???
I really appreciate your advice! Thank you!!

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM

The neighborhood is slightly seedy but not dangerous. It isn't very central and you will spend a lot of time walking (uphill to the hotel) or on the bus.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:47 PM

I agree with Grinisa. While I don't think the area is bad, its just not as nice as some and not as centrally located. You may want to look at apartments in the Campo di Fiori or Piazza Navona areas, which are much more central and closer to major sights.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. This was kind of what I was thinking as well.

My husband wants an area where there's smaller, local neighborhood restaurants. (He is of Italian ancestory and wants a neighborhood with more locals and less tourists. Luckily he speaks enough Italian to get by quite well).
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Dear Petlover,
Bear in mind that Via Cavour stretches all the way from Termini to the Colleseum/ Forum area. We just returned from our Italy trip and spent the last 3 nights in an apartment in Rome (wish it had been a week). We stayed on Leonina St, () about a block from the Metro and loved the neighborhood. (We were maybe 6 blocks from St. Maria Maggiore - Mary Major) It is not touristy and ritzy by any means. We ate in neighborhood restaurants and walked both directions easily. Two of our goals were a good look at the National Museum (across from Termini and the Baths) and St. Mary Major which we had not seen before. St. Mary Major was surrounded by real Roman neighborhoods (and massive tour groups! - but then they are EVERYWHERE)
We loved our location because we could walk everywhere (Pantheon, Trevi, Piazza Navone, etc etc) and didn't have to take any public trans. We had already seen Vatican City sights, though, and if you want to go there, you would have to have public trans or a taxi.
We felt totally safe and were helped by many non-speaking English who always responded to our "Dove ?" with a smile and directions. And we loved living in a real neighborhood with lots going on.
I guess it depends on your comfort level - Personally I wouldn't want to stay in the high rent areas because they are occupied by tourists and they are VERY VERY crowded.
I'm sure you will make the best decision for you and I hope you have a wonderful time! I will never (hopefully) go back to hotels after having an apartment. I hope you find a great one!
Carol / Brahmama
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hi petlover--
We really enjoyed our apartment near Piazza Navona. I believe their website is www.palazzo-olivia.it
Good luck on your search. The owner, Carla was very helpful.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I second btewalt's opinion. Stayed therea couple of years ago and look foward to booking Palazzo Olivia again for next year. It's a lovely place that is so centrally located.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your good responses!