Include Dublin/Waterford or not??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of planning a 10 night trip to Ireland (from Boston) this June for my wife and I, both fairly active in our mid-30's. I have been to Ireland once before and loved it. My wife has never been.

When I went 5 years ago, I flew into Dublin and out of Shannon. Dublin was nice, but most of my favorite memories came from the west coast. Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Galway, Connemara, Blarney Castle... all the things that come into my mind first when I recall that trip. If I were planning this trip for myself, I would likely skip Dublin and invest my time/energy fully on the west.

Since my wife has never been, however, I feel like I should squeeze Dublin in there. Also, I have not been to the southeast region of Wexford and Waterford. Both of us might enjoy staying there. She says Dublin and Waterford are not "must sees" on her list and she just wants to have a great Irish experience. She also wants to limit car time as much as possible (minimal 2+ hour drives), and she wants to avoid 1-night stays in hotels.

I am leaning towards the flight into/out-of Shannon, and just having a great 10 night trip in the western half. From my experience, I think this will provide the great Irish experience my wife is hoping for while limiting the extended drives and short stays. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance perhaps. Do others feel this is the way to go, and the region to invest the time in? Or would you argue that Dublin and the Southeast (Waterford, Wexford) are really must-sees in Ireland?

Thanks, as always, for your help!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM

They are must-sees only if you really want to go there. Given your interest in western Ireland, go for in/out of Shannon.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Listen to your wife. "<i>She says Dublin and Waterford are not "must sees" on her list and she just wants to have a great Irish experience. She also wants to limit car time as much as possible (minimal 2+ hour drives), and she wants to avoid 1-night stays in hotels.</i>"

that just about answers your question. If you try to cram in Dublin (Nice city but not one of my personal favorites) and the SE --you will seriously short change the time on the west coast/SW. IMHO Waterford is far down the "must list"

Maybe go back another time and spend 2 or 3 days in Dublin enroute to another destination (London, Scotland, Paris, wherever)
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:30 PM

I agree - Dublin & the southeast are not my favorite parts of Ireland, not what I call "ocean-crossers". I glady cross the ocean to see the west of Ireland
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I agree that "listen to the wife" is often the best advice. One I find myself giving and following often. lol

I only ask for the added input since her interest in Dublin can waver... higher some days, minimal others. In the end, she just says she'll go with my final suggestion since I have been there before and know her fairly well.

Thanks for these early responses!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM

I like the concept of "Ocean-crossers". I think that helps narrow down exactly what one needs to fit in to their itinerary vs what might go by the wayside.

I've never yet read on any forum that Dublin is a must see. It's nice or Ok if time allows, but definitely not a must-see.

Is there anything specific in the town of Waterford other than going for the crystal? I'm going for the outside views, but some people are highly interested in the "inside views", aka museums, crystal factories, etc.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Ellea: You know the factory is closed - right?

You might want to start your own thread instead of tacking on to Shandy's. Your questions/itinerary will be different . . .
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Actually they have reopened and make certain items there now.

http://www.waterfordvisitorcentre.com/Factory_Tour

It is not the same as before though and that area is not my favorite. I do like the west, Lahinch and the Aran Islands are my favorite.

I love Dublin, I could skip everything else. I have been so many times but still have yet to see everything. I am a history buff though so Dublin has a lot that interest me. I am all for staying two and three nights in the same location and doing day trips.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I didn't think it was a real factory but more a visitor experience in the city centre. Is it really a new factory -- or a tourist attraction? From what I had heard they only make about 100 items a day.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Everybody has differnt likes and dislikes.
To me Dublin is a must see - worth at least 3 days - but I am a city person and want to see every museum, castle, cathedral and historic sight there is - as well as theater and good restaurants.

Agree countryside can be pretty - but I run out of steam after a couple of days unless it is really spectacular (think Alps, not farms/flat countryside).
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 10:59 PM

The Waterford Crystal factory tour is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago. Yes the factory is next to the showroom, smaller and in the city rather than outside. The processes which visitors have never been able to see because of health and safety (chemicals) remain a safe distance outside city limits. Is it worth heading to Waterford for a 1hour factory tour, probably not, although Waterford is a great city and Dunmore East a wonderful sea side village.

There are other places to see glassware being made.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-...t-Ireland.html
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 05:06 AM

Agree with flpab and nytraveler...Dublin has history, sites, and more. Waterford? Maybe not if you want to explore the West which I agree is superb...and so Irish. But have you considered north and south of Dublin...Knowth/Newgrange and Glendalough? Also Cashel toward Limerick? Awe inspiring for sure.