Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good News!!! The dollar is up and even though it isn't as strong as we would like, this rate might be one that a lot of us can afford!!!

Search

Good News!!! The dollar is up and even though it isn't as strong as we would like, this rate might be one that a lot of us can afford!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:20 AM
maletas

Good news for once on the dollar! Its up and lets hope it will appreciate further or at the very least, stay where it is at 1.238 to the euro. It is an exchange that I can afford. Now don't slam me for giving you GOOD NEWS. Money is a concern and everyone's financial situation is different. Be kind and not so quick to critize.
Bonne chance et bon voyage!

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice little 5 day trend going on. Hope it continues into next week.

Rich
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:55 AM
ira

Hey, Maletas

Good for you. The E is now $1.24, down from $1.28. For every 1000E, you now save $40.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Tat

$40 per $1000 ?
We all can forget our worries now ))
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Well, Tat, every time the dollar has gone down that much, people were up in arms talking about cancelling their trips and avoiding Europe like the plague. So it makes sense that the reverse should be just as much good news as the other was bad news.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Tat

It was good HAHA, Patrick !
Don't be so ... "in the face"
Seems like good news didn't make you any less grumpy ))))))
I've seen ira posted that $40 saving as HAHA too ! Pick on somebody your own size
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Message to Tat:

I think the good news is great to hear. All things are relative. Ten in our family are going to Italy next month. Multiply that $40 by what ten of us will spend and it becomes no laughing matter.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM

You call that response of mine "grumpy"? You're getting weirder daily, TAT. Have you been doubling up on your weirdness pills?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Tat

Noops, Pat, I gave them up, might be too early ))

Just checked, 1.2374 which will be if rounded 1.237 compare to 1.238 it is ... some saving here too

I still can't understand WHY someone can afford 1.24 and can't 1.30 ?
Imagine how much you suppose to exchange for this much to make sence !

Friday, people !
Cheer UP !
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Forty dollars out of a thousand is 4 percent. I don't think the dollar has changed quite that much. And if it has, and if 4 percent makes the difference between going on a trip and not going, I'd be really surprised. Let's just wait and see what happens.

There is actually no sound financial reason why the dollar should be improving against other currencies right now. Our country is deeply in debt, with debt increasing every day and every hour, and with no hope of much recovery until interest rates go up. There have apparently been some efforts by other countries to shore up the dollar's value, but I will predict that it will resume its decline in a week or two. Don't want to be gloom and doom, but the economic reality of our country's financial situation is that we have gone way beyond the deep end and we are drowning in debt---debt that at best our children and grandchildren will be paying off for the next 20-30 years. And at worst, our dollar can become so worthless that foreign investors withdraw their huge holdings in the U.S. stock market and in U.S. treasury paper. Then we can all start looking for the nearest bread lines.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM
maletas

Tat, it makes a difference, believe me. The dollar was fast approaching 1.30. and there was talk about 1.35-1.40. Honey, it makes a difference. It also eases the mind when budgeting for a trip to Europe. When you are resigned to paying one price for a hotel and then in a day or two it increases by several dollars, its hard to take. Then you multiply that increase over 14 days, well you do the math. Take into consideration everything else that you spend moey on when you are over there. Ok, yes, maybe we shouldn't dwell too much on the depreciation of the dollar but I'm rejoicing that the tide is turned. I hope it continues to moven in our favor or at the very least, stay at the present exchange rate. I'll opt the former. Bonne chance et bon voyages. Soyez prudents avec votre argent!

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:17 PM
maletas

Oh Wayne, read the Bloomberg report and you might not be so gloom and doom. Get a grip fellah!