Reload this Page >

good London guide book

Search

good London guide book

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:17 AM
michelle

good London guide book

Hi. I have read many helpful hints on this board for my trip to London in a few weeks (my first!). I just wanted to share back with you. I went to library and bookstore the other night in search of London books and picked up about 10 total, at least! I finally found one that is really helpful...above all the rest. It is the Unofficial Guide to London. It doesn't have all the color pictures and maps as some of the others (ie National Geographics) but it has so much helpful information in it, including the exact cost (some books just give you $ symbols), what time of day to go, closest tube stop, insider tips, and about how many hours to allow for seeing the site. It also gives star ratings of appeal for each age group (preschool, grade school, teens, seniors, etc.) as well as the authors own personal rating. It includes very basic information too, right down to how to go through customs. The only one flaw I see it that the author divided up the sites, restaurants, etc. into his own zones (zones 1-12), which of course for someone like me who is just trying to figure out the tube, can be confusing at times if I forget his "zone 2" is not London's official "Zone 2". But nonetheless, this has been the most helpful book in planning my trip. I know everyone has their own opinions and preferences, but I thought I would pass mine along for those others planing their first trip to London.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Judy

Hi Michelle, Who was the book written by? Was it Fodor's, Frommers or someone else entirely? I probably browsed through it, and I must have hit B& N 4 times last week, checking to see if they got anymore new London titles. I love travel books! I will look for this one, Thanks, Judy ps. it is my second trip there, and hopefully it won't be the last!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 02:00 PM
elaine

fyi <BR>the book is available at Amazon, <BR>and has several positive comments from readers there as well

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Michelle

Judy- The book is by Lesley Hogan. It might be associated with Frommer's because in small print on the back it says to see visit their website which is www.frommers.com, but except for that, it doesn't appear to be a either frommers or fordors. I guess there is a whole series of "unofficial guides to...," but this is the first one I have bought. I picked it up at my B&N store. Turns out is actually one of the few tour books my fiancee wants to read (we actually "argued" over who got to look at it last night!)

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:07 AM
joe

I bought The Unofficial Guide to London just last night. I found their Paris edition to be a wonderful alternative and supplement to my Fodor and Frommer books. Somehow the authors make it a much more human experience and address issues that the other books don't.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Beverley

The Unofficial Guide to London has also helped me tremendously in planning for my trip. I used this book in conjunction with Froomers Guide and "Take the Kids to London" Additionally, this board has been very helpful.